Mother diagnosed with dementia and starting on medication

Jenna 85

Feb 3, 2022
Newcastle
Hi, my mother has had memory problems for a few years now and gradually getting worse, she's 68.She was referred to memory clinic last December and after a few meetings and tests, has been started on donepezil, today is day 7 of taking this medication, Consultant is then going to up my mother's dose in 1 months time then start memantine along side of donepezil. I have noticed some aspects of her memory worse and seems more agitated, is this the normal side affects until it settles? I'm new to this so any tips/guidance would be appreciated. My mother seems less chatty and way more tired. Thanks everyone 😊

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
Hi @jennan85

my mum was diagnosed earlier this year and also on donepezil, starting on lower dose and then increased (which I believe is common).

Our mum didn't have any adverse physical symptoms but was very confused for an period of time (much worse than her prior symptoms, it felt like a steep decline). Thankfully for us things seem to have stabilised and that period of acute confusion and restlessness has gone.. we perceive the medication to be positively helping ma cognitive function for now.

I guess we don't really know if it was the meds causing the change in behaviour but it seems a fair guess after starting a new, strong drug. We also notice our mum a lot more tired in general but think that is jsut a result of her dementia and how hard her brain has to work to compensate foe the lot function

I'd stick with it as rakes time for any meds ro settle but keep a note of any concerning changes ans behaviour and don't be afraid to reach out for a review if you think things haven't settled

Jenna 85

Feb 3, 2022
Newcastle
Hi @jennan85

my mum was diagnosed earlier this year and also on donepezil, starting on lower dose and then increased (which I believe is common).

Our mum didn't have any adverse physical symptoms but was very confused for an period of time (much worse than her prior symptoms, it felt like a steep decline). Thankfully for us things seem to have stabilised and that period of acute confusion and restlessness has gone.. we perceive the medication to be positively helping ma cognitive function for now.

I guess we don't really know if it was the meds causing the change in behaviour but it seems a fair guess after starting a new, strong drug. We also notice our mum a lot more tired in general but think that is jsut a result of her dementia and how hard her brain has to work to compensate foe the lot function

I'd stick with it as rakes time for any meds ro settle but keep a note of any concerning changes ans behaviour and don't be afraid to reach out for a review if you think things haven't settled
Hi Rachael

Thanks so much for your reply. I was hoping that it was just part of the process of starting new medication. I'm glad your mum has settled on the medication now. Could I ask how long it took please?
Yeah I'm keeping a note of changes and stuff like that, I'm hoping my mam will settle on the medication soon. Thanks so much again ☺️

Lillypuddleduck

Oct 12, 2023
Hi, my mother has had memory problems for a few years now and gradually getting worse, she's 68.She was referred to memory clinic last December and after a few meetings and tests, has been started on donepezil, today is day 7 of taking this medication, Consultant is then going to up my mother's dose in 1 months time then start memantine along side of donepezil. I have noticed some aspects of her memory worse and seems more agitated, is this the normal side affects until it settles? I'm new to this so any tips/guidance would be appreciated. My mother seems less chatty and way more tired. Thanks everyone 😊

bearbear

Oct 20, 2023
Wirral
My husband started taking memantine too and it made a huge difference to him. He seemed much calmer and more accepting of his condition so they are keeping him on it.

Jenna 85

Feb 3, 2022
Newcastle
My husband started taking memantine too and it made a huge difference to him. He seemed much calmer and more accepting of his condition so they are keeping him on it.
Ahh that's really good to hear, does your husband take donepezil with the memantine or just memantine? 🙂

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
Hi Rachael

Thanks so much for your reply. I was hoping that it was just part of the process of starting new medication. I'm glad your mum has settled on the medication now. Could I ask how long it took please?
Yeah I'm keeping a note of changes and stuff like that, I'm hoping my mam will settle on the medication soon. Thanks so much again ☺️
Hi Jenna, I really do think it was at least 8 weeks before the increased agitation started to settle out and then we were able to notice the benefits of the medication for mum..however I know that everyone is different as well.

We had taken mum private for her diagnosis and were recommended a 4 month review following intro of the meds, so might be an indication it can take up to that length to make a judgement on how it is working