More gripes about memory clinics

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
Just before Xmas I asked the forum regarding people's experience with memory clinics and we all had some very varied experiences.

I'm finding the memory clinic my Ma is under terribly unresponsive. Because Ma refuses to attend they do send a support worker periodically to visit her and just before Xmas a doctor came too. This doctor called me in the NY to agree that Ma's memory was deteriorating further but she thought Ma's depression was improved. She then asked what I thought.

I said the situation we were living in was nightmarish, my health was suffering and I'd been to see my GP with health issues, that I really didn't feel I could cope. I got no response but was wished a Happy New Year and "to call if I had any problems". Which left me wondering why I'd even bothered trying to get in touch.

The support worker, who I just happened to see because I wasn't back at work, was a little short with me and asked me "what did I expect" from the doctor. I said I just needed to be told how to manage an elderly, frail, confused woman who fixates on certain worries and just can't be consoled or reassured, who cries for a least ten minutes every hour, who has to be bullied and cajoled into eating, and who regularly finds herself back in occupied Europe during WWII.

She said she'd contact the Admiral Nurse (who's previous suggestion had been that I give up work to care for Ma although she had no bright ideas about how we'd then pay the mortgage or gas bill).

I recognise that I have to change how I think about the situation I find us all in but I truly find it difficult and do think I need some guidance on managing, which the memory clinic seems unwilling to provide. When I talked to my GP about possibly having a CPN come in to review Ma's other mental health issues she explained that because she was under the memory clinic it would be the clinic who have to call in that kind of support. But as this doctor now thinks Ma's depression is so much better I can't see them doing that.

I suppose I'm just whining but if anybody can think of anything concrete I could do I'd be very grateful for a bit of signposting.

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
I find a lot difficult to understand so not understanding this is no surprise. It seems, to me, a difficult situation that I wonder if it needs to be so difficult based on possible ignorance (on my part) re POA and what that means re health decisions and how that fits with a 'memory clinic'. Does 'being in the memory clinic annul any poa re this. If not. What about getting a second (doctors) opinion? Stir the pot a bit. Make them have to justify any responses?

blueyorkie

Dec 30, 2013
I share your frustrations. The memory clinic don't do anything for my dad, unless I keep onto them for a medication review or if I say risks (say aggression) has increased! Then they book an appointment with the consultant. I am a cpn myself ( not in the same trust or area of nursing) but I am finding it extremely frustrating with the lack of monitoring, support for my mum and general lack of input. I am currently fighting to try to get my dad a cpn or social worker to care co-ordinate as he has deteriorated quite significantly recently, 3 phone messages and one email later they have still not responded!! Grrr! I think it's just a case of making more of a nuisance of yourself! The dementia strategy of 2009 set out that services would be better and more personal and inclusive, I'm afraid to say I've not noticed this!! It's almost as if they just want you to get on with it. I apologise to those who do provide/receive a good service, but I have to say I'm unimpressed.

Pat12ka

Oct 28, 2013
It's almost as if they just want you to get on with it. I apologise to those who do provide/receive a good service, but I have to say I'm unimpressed.

Couldn't agree more! We had an appointment in August at the Memory Clinic for the usual 6 monthly check up. A few days prior to the appointment I Had to ring the clinic to change it. I was told on the phone that they didn't want to make a new appointment for my mum as they were going to discharge her! and they wanted to do this there and then over the phone. I was very upset about this as I just felt as if my mum and me had been abandoned and just left to get on with it. I eventually managed to get one of the nurses from the clinic to come to mums house and explain the situation. Apparently our Memory Clinic now only does diagnosis and after this you are left in the hands of your GP. She also said that the Gp's surgery should have a dedicated member of staff trained to see dementia patients, and that they were receiving additional funding for this. My SIL rang the surgery, spoke to one of the staff and they knew nothing about it. On leaving, the nurse said that she would send me information explaining the discharge. We've received nothing! Thankfully we have a very good SW, and also mum seems to have reached a bit of a plateau and we aren't having too many problems that we can't deal with. Don't really know what I'll do when I do get the problems, as I'm not impressed with mums GP or surgery. Perhaps I had the wrong idea about the Memory Clinic. I thought that if mum had a serious deterioration in her dementia and I needed help and advice, they would be the people to turn to.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batty