Money hiatus, fees, house sale...

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
Due to unfortunate reasons, the available money to pay care home fees (EDIT: by a self-funding person) will run out imminently.

The house will have to be sold. It would be beneficial to do some work to prepare it for sale to maximise return.

I have a property and financial affairs LPA. Value of the house will in any case easily cover the loan.

What are some relevant ways to obtain a small loan (say £60,000) to cover care home fees while the work is done?

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Anotherz

It should not be necessary to take out a loan.

The LA is likely to wait until the property is sold when you, on behalf of your person with dementia will be able to pay the arrears.

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
Hello @Anotherz

It should not be necessary to take out a loan.

The LA is likely to wait until the property is sold when you, on behalf of your person with dementia will be able to pay the arrears.
Hi, thank you for that; I'm unsure though how it would work. The LA has nothing to do with paying the care home, she's a self-funder (I should have said that, if there's time I'll edit my OP).

I have just come across something caled aa "Deferred Payment Agreement", migt that be relevant?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Note that a DPA (deferred payment agreement) is only possible if the person has less than the upper limit (£23250 in England) in assets other than the house.

EDIT
Check if using person's funds to renovate house prior to sale causing assets to drop to upper limit would be acceptable to LA

Last edited:

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
Note that a DPA (deferred payment agreement) is only possible if the person has less than the upper limit (£23250 in England) in assets other than the house.
As I said, the money is about to run out.

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
I'm a bit miffed to say the least. Had I known, some years ago, the ins and outs of this, I would have moved in with Mum before she needed to go into a nursing home, and let my own house, and now her house would not have to be sold. If that would have worked.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm a bit miffed to say the least. Had I known, some years ago, the ins and outs of this, I would have moved in with Mum before she needed to go into a nursing home, and let my own house, and now her house would not have to be sold. If that would have worked.
If you are now 60 or over yrs old and you had moved in some years ago in order to care for your mum, then yes, the house would now probably be exempt from the financial assessment all the while you live there

But it may well have taken a terrible toll on your health.....

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
The Local Authority will soon be running out of people who have built up that kind of equity in a property over their lifetime..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier