Mix of emotions

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi guys

Been along time since I posted and lots has changed I suppose both in my life and with mum.

Mum remains on residential care but has deteriorated gradually over the past few months I guess. We had a very difficult phone call last week which caused extreme distress to my sister and when I rang and spoke to the home I truly thought mum had gone. But when I called it was to discuss about her needs they are having trouble to feed her and get her to drink because she often ends up leaning forward in her chair. They say she still enjoys food and opens her mouth to drink and eat etc just taking alot longer. They have prescribed her a muscle relaxant to see if she can stay sitting up longer and for the past 3 times we've been she appears to have been more comfortable and stayed up right which is positive. But they were talking about different situations about whether mum now needs nursing care, does she need to be moved, can she stay where she is but have nurses in etc. They also mentioned pallaitive care which is I think what scared and upset my sister the most. I asked them time and time again is mum at end of life and they said not but they couldn't say when that would happen. Because in herself she is sti eating and drinking and is very smiley. So we are left with a mix of emotions.

In my personal life I've just got engaged and we told mum and she had the biggest grin so I know she understood.. She also tried to eat my ring haha. And today I'm going to look at a wedding venue with my boyfriend and can't help but feel abit heart broken that mum can't come with. I know she won't be at our wedding day and currently can accept that and I know on the day it will be hard (we won't be getting married for at least two years). But I don't know I just feel confused I suppose with the mix of feelings I'm feeling.

Hope you are all doing okay.

X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How lovely that you've got engaged - congratulations!

You must be a turmoil of emotions just now. It's so good that your mum understood, that must have meant a lot.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Congratulations on your engagement :) Im glad your mum understood

BTW - palliative care doesnt necessarily mean that they have reached end of life - it just means not doing things to prolong their life, ie doing things like not resuscitating them if their heart stops (DNR) and not taking them to hospital, but keeping them pain-free and comfortable until the time comes.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
When my neice got married in Italy last year her nan (my mum) who is in late stages of Alzheimer's couldn't go but instead they had a large photo of her on the table at the reception. Just symbolic but it helped them feel she was still part of their special day.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Congratulations!

Mums granddaughter, my neice is getting married in late October this year. She has sent the invitation. I'm not sure if mum will get there, but thanks for posting and sharing its helped here too :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch