Mild congenative imparement

Jan57

Feb 4, 2023
Hi my name is Jan

I have been attending the memory clinic at my local hospital for the past 4 years..l have been diagnosed with a mild form of Altzimers ( A mild congenative imparement ) l attend my local hospital once every 6 months to do memory puzzles and arnser questions etc..lts been very tough over the last 5 months as l lost my Mum in September last year l lived with and looked after my Mum as l was her Carer..lm now living on my own..and at the moment l dont really see alot of people except my two brothers who both live further away and have a couple of near by cousins and friends that visit sometimes but apart from that l dont see anyone..All my close friends live up North as l lived up North a while back..so really the only interiation l have with people is on facebook or lnstagram..My two brothers visit as much as they can..That is why l have joinend this group so l can chat to other people..

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Jan57. I'm glad you've found us.
Sorry that you haven't got any close friends nearby, I can imagine looking after your mum meant you didn't have many opportunities to go out and meet people.
It might be a good idea to look out for groups to join to get to know people nearby. I'm a member of the University of the 3rd Age and the Ramblers. The former has loads of different activities and the latter is great if you like walking and chatting to people. If you google U3A or Ramblers and your local area you should get a link to what's available near you. It might be worth looking on Facebook too for what's on near you.
This is a very friendly and supportive place and I'm sure others will be along soon with their suggestions.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum from me too @Jan57.

I’m sorry that you are on your own. It’s good that you’ve found this forum as there’s always someone around here to listen and to support you. You can share how you’re feeling, ask questions and if you need - just have a rant.

If you put your postcode into this link you might find suitable groups or activities local to you.

Keep posting!

Sporadic gardener

Sep 4, 2022
Hi Jan, this must be a tough time. The only silver lining is you are willing to go a look for company. I look after a relative who hardly sees anyone but refuses and suggestions and avoids company. She has a friend who has Alzeimers who goes to a memory Cafe nearby (through the memory clinic I think but the link above may also help). She has found that really helpful as she meets like minded people going through the same issues who can share tips on how to manage. Some GP s also have link workers who can help people who are isolated to find local activities that suit their interests nearby. It's called 'social prescribing'. I am not sure of your age but Age UK also has some activities fir over 50s and lots of community centres and libraries do coffee mornings and things. Hope that helps.