MIL has dementia, social worker taken bank statement

Brogues

Apr 13, 2014
Social workers have let my mother down over and over in this process - until this I had had no dealing with them, I now have no respect for their "profession" they are clueless and not at all the well meaning souls they would have you believe.

clareglen

Jul 9, 2013
Cumbria
They obviously don't know much about dementia and how it affects moods.
Horrendous. Hindsight is a wonderful thing; may have been better phoning her GP rather than SW. My mum's moods have been horrendous this week, I'm suspecting one particular med may be doing it. She accused me of all sorts yesterday, I couldn't get sense out of her at all. At one point, when I'd just come in (we live next door) she said don't come near I'm liable to lash out. OAP you have my sympathy. I had friend who put her mother into respite & care home phoned her & said come & get her :rolleyes: she is being violent (no previous history of this) she needs medication to control it. I thought they would have been able to handle it.
This, of course, is no help to you. Do you have POA? How much capacity does your mother have? It does seem that SW has been heavy handed. Did either of you have bruises as evidence? Surely they can't make you move out. And, once home, your mother won't realise you aren't allowed to care for her. You should be able to appeal against the decision.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
In 1 case I helped with where a daughter was living with her mother as a joint owner of the property the Social Worker asked if the daughter had owned any other property in the past.
She had inherited her father's half.
She also asked how much money the daughter had as the mother had very little.
The Social Worker had seen the daughter in a fairly expensive new car.
I told the daughter not to answer those questions as she had the right to remain in the house as a joint owner and the council in theory would have to get a court order to look at the daughters finances.
The facts were the mother's savings had almost ran out.
The daughter was wanting the mother to have the same standard of living as her.
When bills were due for example the mother's private medical insurance the daughter would ask how much the mother had and she would pay the difference.
Obviously the daughter did not want her mother to have any capital to be taken for care fees and the daughter was doing nothing unlawful.

William

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroline7