MIL 1st referal and will an MRI be requested

scope

Dec 25, 2011
Hi there,

My MIL has recently been refered to the memory clinic and was wondering what to expect regarding an MRI scan, would they book one of these as standard procedure before making any diagnosis or would it depend on the consultants view at the end of the tests and appointment to suggest an MRI scan? Some people find these MRI scans an unpleasant experience and fear she could be one of them.

Thank you!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi @scope not everyone will need a scan for a diagnosis - see factsheet below which explains the use of brain scans during the diagnostic process. If your MIL is distressed by the MRI process it may be that the hospital would consider use of a sedative but it will depend on the situation and whether a scan is considered necessary. I'm sure the memory clinic will be able to advise more after they have seen your MIL and have the results of other tests such as bloods etc. Hope this helps.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about...d-diagnosis/dementia-diagnosis/dementia-tests

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hi there,

My MIL has recently been refered to the memory clinic and was wondering what to expect regarding an MRI scan, would they book one of these as standard procedure before making any diagnosis or would it depend on the consultants view at the end of the tests and appointment to suggest an MRI scan? Some people find these MRI scans an unpleasant experience and fear she could be one of them.

Thank you!
My husband didn’t have any scans, they just went off everything on the day.

scope

Dec 25, 2011
Thank you Ellie and Louise for your helpful input, my mother had suspected mini stroke when she had hers but starting from scratch with my MIL. Hoping an appointment will drop for this side of 2023. Thanks again!