Mental Health bed

Little Sadie

Sep 2, 2016
Mum has been in hospital 7 weeks today and in the dementia ward nearly 3 weeks. She has been very uncooperative most of the time, refusing meds, liquids and food and often being aggressive to staff. She was on a saline drip last week and was catheterised again after having water retention. The consultant advises letting nature take its course, stopping blood tests and and keeping Mum comfortable. She says because Mum doesn't comply much of the time she is prone to constipation and water retention and therefore infection. She says that Mum will probably be moved to a mental health bed - this means a mental health institution where her challenging behaviours can be accommodated. I have mixed feelings about this move as I'm worried it will cause her more distress. Has anyone experience of these types of ward? Yesterday, for the first time in 7 weeks she was in good spirits - singing when I arrived, friendly to staff, even agreeing to her first shower and hair wash since arriving! We got her dressed and sat in front of the TV and it was so good to see her at peace and not agitated. The day before she'd been aggressive and threw water over the nurse! Wonder what she'll be like today. Fingers crossed.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
this means a mental health institution where her challenging behaviours can be accommodated. I have mixed feelings about this move as I'm worried it will cause her more distress. Has anyone experience of these types of ward?

Hello there Little Sadie. My own experience of a mental health unit has been nothing but positive.
Mum was admitted on section - not from hospital like your mum, but from receiving 24 hour care at home. We were apprehensive, but had no alternative really, her behaviour was too challenging.
She has been there since June, and the care she has received has been exemplary - NHS at its best for sure. I am sure that people will post with alternative views, but it was the best thing that could have happened for mum and us (especially for our own sanity and peace of mind)
We are now at the stage of "what next" for mum - the dreaded CHC funding etc..if only she could stay in this unit for the rest of her days....nothing is that easy!
Good luck with your mum, hope things work out for the best.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
My Dad spent time on a Secure Elderly Mental Health ward after being sectioned in his Care Home.

It was very different to what I had imagined. The unit was separate but within the grounds of a large district hospital. Lovely secure patio gardens, activity rooms, tv lounges and everyone had single rooms. The staff were wonderful and it was a very high ratio of staff to patients.

When it was discharge time most relatives dragged their feet finding nursing/care homes as nowhere was as good as the Mental Health ward.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My wife spent 6 months in a secure assessment unit under section 3 moved there from hospital, best thing that ever happened.
Six months with every kind of discipline you could mention assessing her. We had; consultants, psychiatrist, psychologist, occupational therapists...you name it we had it and a 2 residents to one staff ration most of the time she was stable enough to go into full time EMI nursing care.
As she was section 3 then all the on going care (within the LA budget) is free, so unlike Toddleo I didn't have to go down the CHC funding route, it's all section 117 funded.
Some of these things sound scarier than they are but it all depends on where you are I don't doubt many places aren't all like the one Toddleo and I experienced.
K

Little Sadie

Sep 2, 2016
Thanks for your replies - not at all what I was expecting! I feel reassured having read about your experiences. I just hope Mum will respond more positively than she has in hospital. Unfortunately she sees everyone as a threat and is still convinced that when I leave her the staff will hit her. Will post again if and when she moves.