Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Mens smart elasticated waist trousers

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Lovetosing, May 17, 2015.

1. Lovetosing

Lovetosing Registered User

Sep 15, 2013
    West Midlands
    Can anyone advise of where to get some smart elasticated waist mens trousers. Dad is still capable to going to the toilet himself but just being able to pull the trousers down quickly would be very helpful. I know there are various type of jogging bottoms available but he would never have worn them pre dementia so we don't really want to resort to them now if possible. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Forum buddies.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
  3. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
  4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    No connection with them but I've bought other stuff from cotton traders and it's always been good quality, I bought a pair of the Asda ones without realising what "active waistband" meant. I think if you got the right size or maybe one size up they'd go over the hips without a problem. I wear mine when we go out for a meal as they have plenty of "expansion room" if you over indulge a bit. They're only available in black at Asda, cotton traders are less formal but a bigger choice of colours.
    K

http://www.cottontraders.com/pleat-front-side-elasticated-waist-trouser/invt/ac10039
    http://direct.asda.com/george/mens/...-waistband-trousers/GEM294439,default,pd.html

5. Not so Rosy

Not so Rosy Registered User

Nov 30, 2013
  6. WIFE

WIFE Registered User

May 23, 2014
    WEST SUSSEX
    Matalan on-line are very good.

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    #8 Izzy, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  8. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Cotton Traders are brilliant. Their trousers have side and or back elasticated waistbands, still have button and zip at front, but they can be pulled down quickly without messing with zip and button.

9. Dustycat

Dustycat Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    North East
    I went down the jogging bottoms route but bought the jersey material type but the care home shrunk them all in the wash. Going to try cotton traders. X

10. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
  11. sarahjg

sarahjg Registered User

Apr 15, 2015
    I have found some in Matalan ( without elasticated ankles) which have been good for Dad.. they have been faded a bit in the wash but he is
    happy with them and they are soft fabric ( he doesn't like anything scratchy)… only £8 a pair - have had problems finding others without logos on.. I know it probably doesn't really matter but just don't feel happy with him having 'California Athletes' or similar on his trousers! x

12. Lovetosing

Lovetosing Registered User

Sep 15, 2013
    West Midlands
    Thank you all very much for responses. I knew we could rely upon you. There are certainly some suggestions worth following up. Will let you know in due course which we prefer following regular wear and laundering. :)

13. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    I got these for my Dad too as he has Parkinsons. Much to my surprise he really likes them!

Originally he asked me if I could find some 'normal' trousers but with Velcro fly fastening as he didn't want anything jogging bottomsy.

So I Googled 'Men trousers velcro'.

What came up? Men's Stripper trousers you can rip off, like in The Full Monty! :eek:

Couldn't help laughing and Dad thought it was hilarious!

14. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Just adding my 'twopenn'th' to this thread.

Back in April, when my husband had a downturn in his abilities following a UTI, I purchased some elasticated waist trousers from http://www.careclothing.co.uk

My husband has never worn joggers or jeans in his life, so it was really important for me to get something smart looking, something that would easily pass for his normal trousers - and these certainly fitted the bill.

Unfortunately he refused to wear them at the time, but I have introduced them again over the past few days because he has been really struggling with his belt.

I am pleased to say that he really likes the look and feel of them - and he looks quite relieved that they stay up without the hassle of a belt. it has also given him his dignity and confidence back as he had been having to ask me or our son and daughter to do his belt up every time he'd gone to the loo.

As a result, and with his blessing, I've now ordered some more, including some thermal ones for the winter (last year he really felt the cold quite badly).

15. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Lynne I got two pairs from that site and I'm very pleased with them. I chose to have a velro fastening as well and it's great. I got a nice darkish blue pair and a black pair and Bill can wear them when go to church etc and they look very smart!

16. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    I must add my story to this. A lesson for dementia Carers if you like.

OH was really short of decent trousers and, remembering this site and went to cotton traders. The assistant was ever so helpful, so I guessed at his size, he had lost a lot of weight, and took them into the home. I spoke to some of the Carers about the new trousers and left them with a note - please try these on OH, and let me know if they are the right size. If OK, I will label them, if not, I can return them.
    Next day, - trousers still there. Following day, trousers disappeared, he wasn't wearing them though. One of the Carers told me she had tried them on and they looked really good. She had taken off the labels and put his initials in them.
    They didn't come back from the laundry., he died a week later, and a week after that they still hadn't appeared!

Thank goodness I didn't buy two pairs straight away!

17. marmarlade

marmarlade Registered User

Jan 26, 2015
    mens elesticated trousers

my hubby is in care and i buy him his elasticated waist trousers from amazon make sure you buy from raw hide denim they wash well look good and smart

18. soozi

soozi Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi All, I had problems finding the right elastic waist trousers for my father. One of the problems, was that he used to struggle with the buttons and zips, which meant he had numerous accidents, while we were out as he didn't want to, stand there with his trousers around his ankles, whilst in a public loo, which I quite understand. I found a great company called Kazco, who will adapt the trousers for you. They replace the button or zip or both with Velcro. This has given my father more independence and accidents are now few and far between. The trousers themselves were also a higher quality than the others I had seen and very reasonably priced too :).

19. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Be careful care home don't do it again, Cotton Traders joggers are great but if washed hotter than 30 - they will shrink. Mum's have and now she looks a bit silly with ankles showing so I am about to buy a couple more pairs with longer legs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.