Memory Test Score

witsend~1

Jul 16, 2014
North Lincolnshire
Hi, Things are beginning to move for my husband and we had a Psych Nurse visit last week.
She was really very respectful, helpful and patient whilst carrying out the tests. A very nice lady.
His score was 68/100 and she is now setting up an appt for a Scan and follow on with a consultant visit.
My question is what does the score mean? I gather it's not the best, but neither is it terrible! I really don't know and would like some guidance please.
Many thanks

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Memory tests are a simple way of seeing if there is a problem with memory indicating possibility of dementia. If your husband has been referred on for scans then it is obviously lower than deemed not to be a problem but again it is not that low.

I know it is difficult but wait until the scan and any other procedures before you get too worried. My husband had blood tests and an MRI scan.

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the scan,

Take care,

Jay

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
sceptic of score test

Hi, Things are beginning to move for my husband and we had a Psych Nurse visit last week.
She was really very respectful, helpful and patient whilst carrying out the tests. A very nice lady.
His score was 68/100 and she is now setting up an appt for a Scan and follow on with a consultant visit.
My question is what does the score mean? I gather it's not the best, but neither is it terrible! I really don't know and would like some guidance please.
Many thanks

my dad eventually had score tests cant recall the medical name for them..you can download test on the web they are meant for clinicians really. At the end of the tests its states that the partner or families opinions should be considered...our nurse was very polite but in my opinion helped too much..
And lets face it when confusion or memory loss sets in..life isnt going to be ill give you more time shall I repeat that again.. the tests can indicate..but my dad also had scan and the test on their own wouldnt be enough to get them help..on two separate occasions my dad did ok..still below parr but in the appointments seemed bright etc...seconds after leaving my dad couldnt remember what day it was...we were told come back in months...my dad got worse..I pushed and pushed until dr saw him again...we now have a diagnosis of dlb dementia with lewy bodies...waited 2 years to be listened to....

Its great youve had test and will have a scan...if all ok...fantastic..if points raised...and your gut feeling is different to nurses or drs..make your views known....time is precious and we know our partners..dads or mums better than anyone...good luck...if there is a diagnosis..life isnt over just different...good luck...

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
Many thanks

Was it the Addenbrooke's Cognitive Examination? I know that that is scored out of 100.

If so, then they expect an older person to score in the 90s to allow for what they call normal age related memory impairment, and they consider anything under about 88 to be significant.

We found with my MIL that nobody tells you anything really, until they've done all the tests and scans etc. then we got an appointment for Memory Clinic through the post and saw the consultant who can answer your questions based on the picture they've built up.

Hope that helps, I'm still quite new here.