memory loss

nikkip

Feb 10, 2010
middlesex
:confused:i have always been a little absent minded, walk in a room and forget what i was going in there for, forget where i have put things ect. but recently i have noticed that im mixing my words up which can sometimes be very confusing, im a driving instructor and luckly my pupils can work out what im saying so i make a joke of it and we have a laugh, im also forgetting some words and it takes me a few minuits before i can remember the word and it can be something as simple as a cup. could anyone tell me if this sounds normal or should i be worried. :confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s not really for anyone here to tell you whether or not you should be worried. It`s obvious you are. The best person to seek advice from is your GP.
It doesn`t mean no one here would be interested. Please let us know how you get on if you do see your GP.
We are all absent minded at times, particularly if over tired or under stress. Mixing up words is less usual and I really would want to seek medical advice if it happened to me.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi nikkip,

Welcome to Talking Point (TP).

Sylvia (Grannie G) has given you some very sound advice to go and seek an opinion from your GP.

It's worth keeping a diary of your symptoms, but be careful about over-obsessing at the same time, as that might just increase anxiety and make things worse.

The Alzheimer's Society website has a section for people worried about their memory that you might want to look at:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Worriedaboutyourmemory

Take care,

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Hi nikkip, glad you have found TP and welcome to this wonderful source of support.

Go along and have a chat with your GP and tell him what you have told us.

Stress can lead to all of the symptoms you have described but nevertheless, have yourself checked out.

Do let us know how you get on.

Regards Hazel

Last edited:

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Nikkip

Stress & extreme tiredness can cause memory problems, as can an underactive Thyroid (which is something I suffer from).
All it takes is a simple blood test to diagnose Thyroid disfunction, and the remedy is a daily thyroxine supplement.
Off to the Doctor's with you, get it sorted or eliminated as a factor.

from Internet said:
The most common symptoms of an underactive thyroid gland are:

Feeling tired or low
Dry skin
Gaining weight
Feeling the cold
Constipation
If you're a woman, irregular periods.

If an underactive thyroid isn't treated, your symptoms may gradually get worse. After a few months or years, you may notice you:

Have very dry, flaky skin
Have coarse hair
Gain weight, even though you're not eating any more
Feel depressed
Feel sluggish and find it difficult to think clearly
Have a hoarse voice
Lose some of your hair.

Best wishes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads