Memory Challenges

PicoBoulevard

May 2, 2020
Hello. I'm 60 years old and am having great anxiety about my short-term memory and word-finding. I have been to two neurologists. One administered the MMSE and said I was fine. The other gave me no tests, saying that he could only diagnose me if my problems were more severe.
When I try to remember addresses I just learned, or repeat five words after doing other exercises, I draw a blank. I used to be a journalist with a remarkable vocabulary and now I am having trouble with word-finding. I also forget the names of people whom I haven't seen in six months, as well as celebrity names. I've noticed these problems for at least five years.
I took many online short-term memory tests and scored below average (e.g. 72 when 90 is considered good) except the mathematics tests, where I scored very highly.
I've had recent blood tests so have no B12 deficiency or hypothyroid problems. I have been taking benzodiazepines for 30 years and I know that there might be a link to dementia. I also have moderate hearing loss, another comorbidity for dementia. Additionally, I've had general anesthesia twice over the past three years.
My family dismisses my concerns and gives examples of when I've have sharp recollections. My neurologists have dismissed me. I'm in the States and we don't have memory clinics.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @PicoBoulevard and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place for understanding and support.

You are right to be checking general health aspects as they can cause dementia like symptoms. Beyond that there is even a condition called Mild Cognitive Impairment(MCI) that doesn't always lead to full dementia, I would say keep pressing the medics and don't stress too much at this stage - if you can avoid that.

If you click on the link below you will find the Society Publications list and you may find a lot of literature there that will be of interest to you
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Now that you've found us do keep posting for support.

Best of luck to you.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @PicoBoulevard . I think you are being too hard on yourself. It's pretty common to struggle for names and words in mid 50's onwards. Age, stress and especially menopause for females, can all cause forgetfulness. I think that, for example, if you forget to put the kettle on to make tea, you're probably ok. If you can't figure out what the kettle is for or how to make tea, then you might have a bit of a problem.