Mementine and blurred vision

AutumnRigby

Jun 10, 2023
Hi there
Mum has been taking Mementine for 6 months now and after a routine visit to the opticians with blurred vision has been told she has cateracts, and has been referred to a consultant.
Mum hasn't told the opticians about taking Mementine and so my concern is the blurred vision is a side effect and not a cateract.
I'm not really questioning the ophthalmologist but am concerned as mum almost spent £13,000 on a new hip just to be told it was sciatica and all because she doesn't / can't/ won't tell professionals all the info. I just want to make sure the meda don't make a difference before she ends up.with a surgery she doesn't need.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
I’m surprised if the consultant won’t ask for a current list of meds. I send a print out with my dad every time and send a list via email or electronic check in before every appointment. If I have concerns about side effects or drug interactions, I ask. It’s important to have a full list including over the counter meds and the time of day taken. I do have POA but even before this was filed, the doctors accepted things from me.

BTW — my dad takes mementine and had cataract surgery a little over 1 year ago, and now has 20/20 vision, annoyingly….

AutumnRigby

Jun 10, 2023
I’m surprised if the consultant won’t ask for a current list of meds. I send a print out with my dad every time and send a list via email or electronic check in before every appointment. If I have concerns about side effects or drug interactions, I ask. It’s important to have a full list including over the counter meds and the time of day taken. I do have POA but even before this was filed, the doctors accepted things from me.

BTW — my dad takes mementine and had cataract surgery a little over 1 year ago, and now has 20/20 vision, annoyingly….
Hi Yankeeabroad
Thanks for this, some great tips, I will be contacting the GP for the most up to date info and making copies.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum has been taking Mementine for 6 months now and after a routine visit to the opticians with blurred vision has been told she has cateracts, and has been referred to a consultant.
Mum hasn't told the opticians about taking Mementine and so my concern is the blurred vision is a side effect and not a cateract.
If you look into the eye you can see the cataract and I would expect this to be part of an opticians examination. If you can actually see a cataract then there is little doubt that it will be causing blurred vision.
How much this will be impacting on the patient is a different matter

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
We saw an ophthalmologist on Saturday. He told us that Dad has cataracts - he could see them clearly during the examination. He also explained that dementia patients often have trouble with sight that is nothing to do with eye problems. He said it was the signal between the eyes and the brain that gets lost. Dad is finding it increasingly difficult to read now despite new glasses. How he describes it, it sounds like a type of dyslexia with the words moving around on the page.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exhausted Eldest