Day care

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Hi. I just wondered what other people’s experience has been particularly the cost of day care.
I am looking into this at moment for my OH. His social worker suggested a provider who takes people out and about through the day in a small mini bus. They have lunch out and then come home.
Hubby loves being out in the car with me and would happily have me driving around all day and have coffee and cake
So I thought this might be a good place to start
The lady came out tonight to meet him. But the cost shocked me. £84. Plus £10 for lunch. He would be picked up you go by 12 and back by 6.

Is this average cost or excessive. She said it was set by their local council !!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi ,to give you an idea of costs ,my oh goes to a daycare centre. They don't go out but stay there and can do activities if they want to. The cost for that is £35 a day plus £6.50 for a two course dinner. Goes at 10am. I collect him at 3 pm.

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
It is a lot and illustrates how many people and services are capitalising on the misfortunes of others these days. In my opinion some charges most certainly can not be justified.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I expect the insurance is quite high and maybe two or more carers to keep an eye on the “patients” but even then that’s pretty steep. Not many people could afford that on a regular basis, especially living on just the state pension.

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
I agree with all the comments. The lady said the local council set the rate as the actual day amount is £84.39 p. Which was an odd amount. Is this how it works. Or is that a council calculation that they are willing to pay.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
I we were in a position to look at day care, the charges would be slightly under those quoted by @Moyra C however there would be no days out and entertainment would mostly be, bingo and board games. The rate is set by he local council and increases every year.

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
I we were in a position to look at day care, the charges would be slightly under those quoted by @Moyra C however there would be no days out and entertainment would mostly be, bingo and board games. The rate is set by he local council and increases every year.
Thankyou. I liked the idea that this provider did not use a day car centre. But they pick up on minibus /people carrier and take the people out for day. My hubby would sit all day in the car going out and about. But not sure he would go to a day centre He is hopefully going to try it next week. Although he is adamant he is not going out and staying at home. We will see

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Thankyou. I liked the idea that this provider did not use a day car centre. But they pick up on minibus /people carrier and take the people out for day. My hubby would sit all day in the car going out and about. But not sure he would go to a day centre He is hopefully going to try it next week. Although he is adamant he is not going out and staying at home. We will see
I hope this works out for you and your OH has a lovely day out. What annoys me is we're told that our PWD can have this, that and the other but the powers that be, never point out the cost.

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
A wee update. My OH went off to his day care today no problems. His lovely lady came and picked him up. There was another gentleman on the minibus and off he went. Left at 11 and back for 5. Said he had a good day. Travelled at
Round the countryside and ended up in Worksop. He is a man of very few words. Going again next week 🤞

Coco23

Jun 1, 2023
Interested to read this, I've been looking into day care today. Costs seem to be between £57 and £100 a day including lunch. Not sure my dad will take to it but I'm afraid he's just going to have to deal with it as I can't see any other way mum can get a break and she and I can get out to the shops etc. He's never been into clubs or joining in but we'll see!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
The day centre my OH goes to is attached to a housing association assisted living accommodation. Residents can go and use the centre and they also take extras. My OH is an extra 🤣 £35 a day 10-3 lunch £6.50 if you want one

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Interested to read this, I've been looking into day care today. Costs seem to be between £57 and £100 a day including lunch. Not sure my dad will take to it but I'm afraid he's just going to have to deal with it as I can't see any other way mum can get a break and she and I can get out to the shops etc. He's never been into clubs or joining in but we'll see!
i was surprised my hubby went. But he seemed to really enjoy it. It does seem expensive but he doesn’t spend money on anything else. Not clothes , pub , or even his model rail Which used to be a bone of contention with us. So I am sure if he enjoys and benefits from some time away from me it’s worth it. I like that he is going out and about. Not sure he would go to a group set up. But then again I may be surprised.