Medical death certificate

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
my mother has just passed away on Tuesday evening after suffering from vascular dementia for at least 7 years she had been in hospital twice in the last month with cellulitis pnuemonia and was on the final stage of dementia. I had to pick the death certificate up today and they put the cause of death as old age itsupset me as I don’t feel that’s right am I wrong?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That would upset me too. OH's death certificate said
I Lobar pneumonia
II Alzheimer's Disease, Frontotemporal dementia

Old age means nothing. Both the acute illness as well as the vascular dementia should have been mentioned in my opinion.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Lynsey lou
sad news, my condolences

I didn't want to read and not post, though I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to your question - I think I'd be upset too and wanting to ask questions

such a tough time for you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don`t think you are wrong at all @Lynsey lou.

Many people with dementia die from conditions brought on by the dementia and many of us have fought hard to make sure dementia or the specific form of dementia is entered on a death certificate.

My husband first had diabetes, then he had Alzheimer`s. In the later stages of Alzheimer's he became ill with aspiration pneumonia which was probably caused by inhaling his food as a result of the dementia.

Alzheimer`s and pneumonia were listed as cause of death on his death certificate.

I don`t know if it`s too late to do anything about your mother`s death certificate now. I`m so sorry for your loss and wonder if the helpline might be able to give you some advcice.

National Dementia Helpline

0300 222 11 22

Helpline opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday

9am – 8pm

Thursday and Friday

9am – 5pm

Saturday and Sunday

10am – 4pm

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Am sorry for your loss and I agree. On dad's certificate it stated sepsis and vascular dementia and I was 'pleased'. Dementia massively contributed to his death in a number of ways and I am glad he was included in the national statistic for dementia Alz etc now apparently being the leading cause of death in the elderly therefore adding to the true picture of how many succumb to dementia.

chickenlady

Feb 28, 2016
My Dad died in November and his death certificate says old age and Alzheimer's. Between the GP and the coroner it took a week for them to decide if the GP could issue a certificate as his final deterioration was very rapid but as they couldn't be sure what had finally brought on this sudden decline and death the coroner approved the use of the term Old Age as the primary cause. This takes into account a multitude of frailties. I hope this helps, this time next year what is on the certificate will not worry you so much, but if it helps go and discuss it with your GP.

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
I Lobar pneumonia

Old age means nothing. Both the acute illness as well as the vascular dementia should have been mentioned in my opinion.
Thanks I’m glad you think the same I just think as a family we have been through the mill and back and to just say old age is totally wrong . My mum hasn’t known me for the last year and I don’t think that’s just old age in the last month she had pneumonia and cellulitis but nothing it’s really upset me it should have been recognised

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
My Dad died in November and his death certificate says old age and Alzheimer's. Between the GP and the coroner it took a week for them to decide if the GP could issue a certificate as his final deterioration was very rapid but as they couldn't be sure what had finally brought on this sudden decline and death the coroner approved the use of the term Old Age as the primary cause. This takes into account a multitude of frailties. I hope this helps, this time next year what is on the certificate will not worry you so much, but if it helps go and discuss it with your GP.
Thankyou I just think I’m a bit fragile at the moment I’m sure your right

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
Thankyou x

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
I Lobar pneumonia

Thanks for your reply

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so sorry for your loss and do understand how upset the certificate giving the cause of death must make you feel.

My husband passed away last summer and, after sitting through a bedside vigil lasting five days and nights, with doctors only referring to sepsis, I was taken aback when the cause of death was given as Aspiration Pneumonia - but they did at least include mention of Alzheimer's Disease too.

The clerk in the hospital bereavement office could see that I was taken aback, particularly as Aspiration Pneumonia had never been mentioned before - even when I had asked one of the doctors where the infection leading to sepsis had started, he said it was unknown and irrelevant as the sepsis was now rampant throughout his body, causing multiple organ failure.

I was told that I could talk to the consultant who had signed the certificate before I actually registered the death. I was also told that it was unlikely the consultant would change what was on the certificate, but that he might be able to explain things to me and put my mind at rest.

I spent three days trying to contact him and in the end I gave up and registered the death with the certificate I'd been given. I figured that as my husband had been having problems eating and drinking for several weeks there was probably some likelihood that the infection had started as a result of food or drink settling in the lungs at some point, even if he hadn't alerted anyone by signs of choking.

The main reason I am mentioning this is to let you know that it is possible to challenge what is written on the certificate as the cause of death before actually going to register the death. I would have been very upset if my husband's dementia had not been recorded at all.

Of course, it is such a stressful time and there is no guarantee that anything will be changed at the end of it, so it is understandable that people do not feel strong enough to put themselves through that ordeal on top of everything else they are dealing with.

I'm thinking of you.

Lynsey lou

Dec 16, 2018
I am so sorry for your loss and do understand how upset the certificate giving the cause of death must make you feel.

My husband passed away last summer and, after sitting through a bedside vigil lasting five days and nights, with doctors only referring to sepsis, I was taken aback when the cause of death was given as Aspiration Pneumonia - but they did at least include mention of Alzheimer's Disease too.

The clerk in the hospital bereavement office could see that I was taken aback, particularly as Aspiration Pneumonia had never been mentioned before - even when I had asked one of the doctors where the infection leading to sepsis had started, he said it was unknown and irrelevant as the sepsis was now rampant throughout his body, causing multiple organ failure.

I was told that I could talk to the consultant who had signed the certificate before I actually registered the death. I was also told that it was unlikely the consultant would change what was on the certificate, but that he might be able to explain things to me and put my mind at rest.

I spent three days trying to contact him and in the end I gave up and registered the death with the certificate I'd been given. I figured that as my husband had been having problems eating and drinking for several weeks there was probably some likelihood that the infection had started as a result of food or drink settling in the lungs at some point, even if he hadn't alerted anyone by signs of choking.

The main reason I am mentioning this is to let you know that it is possible to challenge what is written on the certificate as the cause of death before actually going to register the death. I would have been very upset if my husband's dementia had not been recorded at all.

Of course, it is such a stressful time and there is no guarantee that anything will be changed at the end of it, so it is understandable that people do not feel strong enough to put themselves through that ordeal on top of everything else they are dealing with.

I'm thinking of you.
Thankyou for replying and I’m sorry to hear you lost your husband last summer it such an awful disease. i think it’s only been 4 days since her passing and I’m still very upset as I saw my mum every day and the last days were very hard like with you sepsis and pneumonia and last stage vascular dementia it just seemed so poor them putting old age after what my poor lovely mum had been through I might see what I can do if anything about it as I do feel strongly about it x

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Hi Lynsey Lou,

Sorry to hear of your loss and I can understand your strong feelings regarding the cause of death. When I lost my parents both sets of medical staff liaised with us on what should go on the certificate. In my father's case many years ago we insisted it said lung cancer not preumonia and in my mother's case she was 90 and it was very difficult to know what had caused her death. Old age was agreed between us, the doctor and the coroner.

These statistics are used to form new policy and should not be fudged. In my OH case, if I am still around, the first cause will be Alzheimer's, if I have any influence.

Must say I am surprised you were not consulted or informed of their decision before the certificate was issued.

A very sad time for you but it might help your grieving if you can get it altered. Best wishes.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Firstly my condolences @Lynsey lou.

My dad died in December, unexpectedly so the coroner was involved. There was no post mortem and the Gp was allowed to register his death.

Dad was 90 and had been very ill since the end of July so although his death was sudden I wouldn’t really call it unexpected.

His death certificate gives cause of death:

I (a) Dementia

II Ischaemic Heart Disease, Chronic Kidney disease, Intracerebral Haemorrhage

I think it was the last one that actually carried him off but I’m glad all were listed. Especially dementia as it had such a massive impact on everyone who was close to him and involved in his care. Interesting for family history and vital for government statistics.

I have to say “Old Age” does not seem to reflect the true cause