1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Meal ideas for my dad who is not eating well

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Frankieisblue, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Frankieisblue

Frankieisblue Registered User

Dec 19, 2015
    He has cereal and toast for breakfast but the rest of the days he hardly eats at all.......would those complan meals in a drink be worth trying ?...........you can get them on prescription can't you ? We use Wiltshire farm foods but he just picks at them , even the small meals

2. Patricia Alice

Patricia Alice Registered User

Mar 2, 2015
    You can get his GP to prescribe either Ensure Plus or Forticips, they are a flavoured milkshake with vitamins and minerals.

My mum is on Ensure plus twice a day as she hardly eats anything, a mouthful of food here and there. She can usually manage soup but finds anything solid difficult to eat.

3. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    If he is eating cereal in the morning but not much else, I am wondering if there is a swallowing problem or maybe some pain in his mouth/throat. It may well be worth getting the GP to ask for SaLT advice (ie Speech and Language Therapist) who deal with problems like this. My husband had similar problems and SaLT advised thickening of drinks and pureed food and that made such a difference.

Then I often made a lime jelly mixed with yoghurt as it was setting. This made a refreshing and nourishing snack.

I also agree its worth asking GP to prescribe fortified milk style drinks.

4. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    My husband has Ensure pots, consistency much thicker than a yoghurt and he likes them which is a bonus. They come in several flavours.

5. middlemiss

middlemiss Registered User

Apr 27, 2014
    I'd definately ask for a SALT referral. My mum only eats jacket potatoes with cheese, egg or cheese sandwiches, cake and biscuits, toast and jam, chips, bread and butter, bananas, she doesn't recognise anything else now. She won't drink fortisips or any other fortified drinks, only lemonade and tea. I'd give her jacket potato and cheese 3 times a day if she wanted! The unit she's currently in for assessment give her anything but, write 'refused' in her care plan and wonder why she's lost so much weight......
    When at home, I found she ate a softer diet and wrote out menu plans for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the carers that also helped my brother with the shopping too. They were taken with her to hospital - but that's another story.

6. Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you my friend

God bless you

7. Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you my friend

Great information xx

8. Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you so much

This place is brilliant

9. Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
    Aww thanks friend xx

Much help , kind regards

10. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Before you get to the Complan/Ensure/Fortisips/... stage you might find something helpful >>>HERE<<<

11. Frankieisblue

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you

Much appreciated