Mam just diagnosed with Lewy Bodies with Parkinson’s

CappyQueen

Feb 5, 2024
Hi, I’m a newbie here, just wondered how people cope with the emotional side of caring for an elderly parent who has changed so drastically in the last year, I have just reduced my full time hours to part time to care for her on afternoons, mam is 82 but as I have no siblings I have all the responsibility, she lives with my dad but he’s detached himself from the whole situation, she’s has extreme hallucinations and it’s just heartbreaking, she has been in an out of respite care three times in 6 months, as she was becoming aggressive, she is paranoid and now saying she her neighbours are trying to kill her and dad (they have lived there peacefully for over 40 years) , along with other extreme beliefs, she came out of respite care on Monday and has been to the day centre today which she enjoys, but driving home she started screaming and crying saying she didn’t want to go home and wishes she wasn’t here, I’m managing with the personal care, but seeing mam in that state us just unbearable and I don’t know what to do!! She has got a water sample in the GPs but results are taking ages to come back. I feel so selfish but my own son and daughter have grew up and moved away just recently, so feel like I’ve spent me life caring for people, I’m exhausted 😕 (sorry for very long thread)

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
You have my sympathy. It's a horrible illness that has far reaching consequences. Ring helplines and keep asking for help.i gave up asking for help as I didn't seem to get anywhere. Eventually I was offered referrals by the memory clinic and I got great telephone support. It's important to keep looking for ways to get the support you need. It's really hard to see the problems recognised, but keep trying! Good luck.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @CappyQueen and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have direct experience of what you describe but know from looking after my wife how exhausting and despairing it can be. One of the things that helped me most was the support and virtual friendship that I found here. Being able to ask questions and sharing with people who truly understand meant so much. I hope that we can help you too.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @CappyQueen.

I’m so sorry to read about your mum. It sounds as if you are overwhelmed by it all. If you don’t have any outside support for your mum I think it would be worth looking into that now. It might help you step back a bit and take time to focus on yourself and your own family.

If your mum doesn’t already have carers this link might be helpful-