Maintenance of empty property

Beth24

Oct 6, 2019
My elderly mother who has advanced dementia and is in a care home has a property which we are maintaining. The property is on the North Yorkshire coast over 50 miles away. I need to visit the property to ensure it is secure and sort post, tidy outside area and check gutters etc. My husband says this isnt permitted during lockdown, does anyone have any advice on this type of situation?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
On my walks around the area I`ve noticed how many properties are beginning to look neglected. Some are houses for sale, some are owned by people who are either too afraid to tend their gardens or unable to do so.

I think your husband is right @Beth24. It would not be considered an essential journey .

Are there any neighbours of your mother who you could contact just to tell you whether or not the house is all right?

There might be some leeway for you after this evening`s update .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I have the same issue as Mum’s property is 80 miles away. We were just in the process of making the decision to sell or rent out when lock down happened. Her insurance also stipulates the property is visited weekly. Mum’s elderly neighbour used to pop round but is now self isolating and my cousins nearby (but over 70) don’t want to take the risk.
so far I have not been and I am hoping on the announcement today to see if it is possible. I do feel I will have to go soon though. Fortunately mail is being redirected but junk mail will be visible in her glass porch so I worry that people could see the house is empty.
Sorry so no advise but I might take the risk if travel restrictions are eased

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The insurance is a big worry. I`d be inclined to contact the Insurance company.

Leaving the houses empty is not a personal decision but a national one and you have been given no option. Making contact with the insurance company might help ensure the property is protected.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thanks for your @Grannie G - is is the insurance that worries me. My brother arranged the insurance as the existing policy expired during lock down. He told me that all companies he contacted still expected weekly visits. (Some insisted on overnight stays) I will see what is said today and if no opportunity to travel then I will ask him to contact them again. Mum’s bungalow is in a row of bungalows and I think most are over 70 so nobody really to ask.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s really frustrating when we`ve paid regular premiums and done the right thing for years but there always seem to be loopholes in dire circumstances.

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
Fortunately mail is being redirected but junk mail will be visible in her glass porch so I worry that people could see the house is empty.
My understanding is that Royal Mail only deliver junk mail if they are delivering 'proper' post, so, in theory there shouldn't be very much junk through the door.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My brother arranged the insurance as the existing policy expired during lock down. He told me that all companies he contacted still expected weekly visits.

Check with your brother whether the insurance covers the property only, or also the contents. My mum's house is empty and I could only get cover for the property, not the contents, so all valuables & paperwork have been removed. Under the circumstances the house looking like it is empty isn't so much of a concern and mum's neighbour is also keeping an eye out.

Check your insurance company's website for Covid-19 advice. My Mum's policy states that the property must be visited/inspected every week but the current advice on the insurance company's website is: "Inspecting an unoccupied property is classed as non-essential travel at the moment, so in the event of a claim we’ll take the current situation into account" .

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Re the junk mail, I've just arranged for mums post to be redirected to me as she has just gone into a care home and her house is now empty. I have had several things successfully redirected with typed labels on them. But I can see from the security cameras that the postman is still delivering post, hopefully only junk mail, which surprised me.

Luckily the post goes into a covered cupboard in the porch and cannot be seen from outside.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I noticed that my junk mail started to reduce when lockdown started and now I haven't received any for a few weeks :) Perhaps the companies/staff that manufacture & distribute this 'advertising' material are currently furloughed?

Edit: Just found this article on the BBC stating: To ease the workload, Royal Mail has changed its policy on junk mail. It will now only be delivered to people already receiving letters or parcels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52243179

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dads bungalow is empty now but I do visit quite often because it is very close. The insurance stipulates that someone should visit once a week and that all internal doors should be kept closed when it is empty.
Dads neighbours are very good and put his dustbins out for me even though there is not much in them. I have also told them that they can park on dads drive which they do and it looks like there is somebody there most of the time. I also have a light on a timer.

When dad was still there I would keep the bathroom light on all night so I have left it on permanently now.
I haven't seen any junk mail recently..

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Well based on the latest info I shall be travelling up to Mum’s house to check all is ok. It also looks like we will now be able to progress with selling it (or rent it out if brother gets his way)