LPA, advice

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
Hi,
My dad is now in a care home since September, he was diagnosed as having possible vascular dementia (still waiting for memory clinic appointment, was told it can take ages as there is a waiting list). Dad can get confused sometimes however I’m still able to have normal conversations with him just over a year after the unofficial diagnosis.
We were advised by dads social worker to apply for a LPA we questioned dads mental capacity and was told by the social worker “your dad still has capacity you just need to catch him on the right day” we left it for a few months as didn’t want to push dad when he was feeling anxious. Last couple of months dad has been ok and I raised the LPA with him and explained to him why it’s needed, why it would benefit him and he seems on board with it and understands however does get anxious over it (as he always has prior to all of this)
I know you need a certificate provider who will check dad’s understanding of it all, care home can’t (conflict of interest) social worker didn’t want to do it and his dr surgery didn’t want to do it. We found someone who has known dad for a very long time to check his understanding of it and he said he was willing to be the certificate provider. Which will happen on a particular day set as long as dad at the time is happy to go along with it, isn’t anxious and doesn’t show any memory problems.

Would any of you still apply for LPA as long as there is still an understanding to it? And as long as dad feels comfortable? Or do you think I should have taken it to the court of protection?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Rebby26 , I think the LPA route is fine as long as your dad understands it on a good day, and his friend is happy that you aren't coercing your father. Certainly LPA is simpler to do than the court of protection route though that is doable if a lot more of a faff. I wouldn't hang about to get it done though. Vascular dementia tends to go down in steps and if your dad goes down a step it might be too late.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
If your dad still has mental capacity at the time of signing the document then I would go ahead and get it done ASAP. If you wait and have to go down the guardianship route , it will take forever and cause too many complications.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
I would get it done as soon as possible if your dad has still has capacity and can sign the form and you have found a certificate provider willing to do it. Are you diy or a solicitor? Very easy to DIY online.

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
I would get it done as soon as possible if your dad has still has capacity and can sign the form and you have found a certificate provider willing to do it. Are you diy or a solicitor? Very easy to DIY online.
Yes I’m filling out the forms online myself. Once paid for do you know if they are ready straight away?

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
T
If your dad still has mental capacity at the time of signing the document then I would go ahead and get it done ASAP. If you wait and have to go down the guardianship route , it will take forever and cause too many complications.
thank you x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes I’m filling out the forms online myself. Once paid for do you know if they are ready straight away?
When happy with your entries you can pay online, you then have to print all documents, obtain all signatures, post to OPG, then wait 4 to 6 months for receipt of registered LPAs

<OPG have stated that they hope to introduce digital signing in the future>

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
When happy with your entries you can pay online, you then have to print all documents, obtain all signatures, post to OPG, then wait 4 to 6 months for receipt of registered LPAs

Yes, it takes months to get it registered. You can check the process online. I have done both two years ago.

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
Can I just ask the attorneys are going to be jointly and severally and the attorney is to register the lpa, it states on the website that only one attorney needs to register it however there is a option for both attorneys to register. is it ok for both attorneys to then register it?

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
Can I just ask the attorneys are going to be jointly and severally and the attorney is to register the lpa, it states on the ithat only one attorney needs to register it however there is a option for both attorneys to register. is it ok for both attorneys to then register it?

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
The dates used on the different sections of the form must be in the correct order - for simplicity I asked everyone to leave the date and made them all the same. It’s apparently the most common reason for an issue - and progression of the illness could make a reapplication tricky.
I waited a long while for Mum’s and it was impacting on her care. A quick phone call and explanation to the OPG and it was expedited.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The OPG can also get dates incorrect.

Both my wife's LPAs came back registered after 4 weeks, the mandatory delay between OPG receipt of application and registration ( things worked in olden times!)

The finance one was just stamped on the correct day, the health one was stamped a day early and stamped again on the correct date, it was also stamped 'stamped in error' leaving the reader to sort it out.

I never had to use the multi stamped health LPA, in those days you could get 2 free office copies (copy pierced 'validated') by just asking, I did this and the health one only had the correct date stamp.

They had to send me the original, they must have scanned the LPA on receipt and stamped a copy before validating to hide their mistake.

The other explanation that they always print a copy and stamp with the correct date before validation is wrong, stamps on both original and validated finance LPAs where in same place,

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024

Hi, I managed to get the forms signed however can I ask a question? I found a certificate provider they gave me their name and entered that on the form online, their first name and last name. However today another attorney met with dad and the certificate provider and when the certificate wrote their name on the form they added their middle name (which wasn’t initially added to the online forms that was filled out as they only gave their first and last name) will this be a
problem?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Has he signed joe blogs of joe f blogs and does the sheet he signed on have joe blogs or joe fred blogs?
Have you paid?
If not you should be able to retrieve the documents and edit,

You could contact OPG and explain exactly what you have done
Email: customerservices@publicguardian.gov.uk
Telephone. 0300 456 0300

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
Has he signed joe blogs of joe f blogs and does the sheet he signed on have joe blogs or joe fred blogs?
Have you paid?
If not you should be able to retrieve the documents and edit,

You could contact OPG and explain exactly what you have done
Email: customerservices@publicguardian.gov.uk
Telephone. 0300 456 0300
I’ve paid. The forms I filled out online were written as Joe bloggs on section 10 certificate provider and he signed (he didn’t give me his middle name when I asked) and when he witnessed dad signing section 9 (donor section I know certificate providers can witness donors) he put his first name middle name and last name.

Rebby26

Jun 10, 2024
I’ve paid. The forms I filled out online were written as Joe bloggs on section 10 certificate provider and he signed (he didn’t give me his middle name when I asked) and when he witnessed dad signing section 9 (donor section I know certificate providers can witness donors) he put his first name middle name and last name.
He didn’t give me a middle name when I asked him about his name to fill out forms online