lost messages

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Can anyone tell me if its possible to get back PM's that have been deleted and if so, how do i do it.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Chucky I'm sorry, no. Once a PM has been deleted it's gone I'm afraid. I normally download all my messages as text to my own computer before hitting the delete, but obviously that is no much use to you in your situation.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Regarding messages, how do I save mine to a file here? I want to be able to read them again, don't want to delete them. I'd appreciate help please.

I don't have a word processing prog. so I can't save them like that. I am confused.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_private_messages

You will have to download the messages to your own system Chris, and then delete them from your TP message box in order to free up space for new messages. There is no way around that. Even if you put messages into specific folders, those messages still count towards your total.

You should probably experiment with downloading them in different forms (I use Text, but it isn't the easiest to read).

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
Thanks Jennifer, i stupidly deleted all messages before going on holiday and have lost contact details of a friend on TP. I thought there might be a way in cyber world to find it, thanks for trying.

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Thanks jennifer, 've managed to copy and paste a pm into notepad as text so that works. I selected wrap text which made it easy enough to read!

That's a long job, one by one. Is there a way to copy and paste them all at once? Spose that's too easy :rolleyes: So the way is to open each one by one? No shortcut?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Chris, there is a faster way than you are doing it. I thought there were instructions somewhere; let me see if I can find them.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Chris,

A simple way of doing it:

1. Go to your private messsages.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
3. Find where it says "Download all private messages as ".
4. Click on TEXT.
5. Pop-up window should appear inviting you to 'save'.
6. Click on OK and then .....

Save it to wherever you choose on your computer.

Easy!

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Well, that's very interesting Jennifer, thank you very much. Seems more than one message can be downloaded at once. Worth a try!

The reassuring thing is that Sandy says pms can be downloaded and that won't delete them - that has to be carried out as usual. Good to know! Thank you again. I may try it tomorrow. I may need some good luck!