Loss of mobility

katydid

Oct 23, 2018
Do keep going out whilst you can. My husband became unable to mobilise fairly early on in his illness, )I think because of the Parkinson’s element of his problem- Lewy bodies- so it was much harder sooner, both of indoors both bored etc., and as he became more unwell, no amount of wheelchairs or mobility aids could help
I have just remembered when he fell off his mobility scooter on the river bank, and it took almost a whole troop of Boy Scouts to pick him up again!!
But as he worsened he was unable to ride the scooter, I became unable to push the wheelchair, let alone get him and out of it,......
So if mobilisation is possible, just keep,on going, going, going. Anywhere any time!! And build some memories!

Last edited by a moderator:

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Do keep going out whilst you can. My husband became unable to mobilise fairly early on in his illness, )I think because of the Parkinson’s element of his problem- Lewy bodies- so it was much harder sooner, both of indoors both bored etc., and as he became more unwell, no amount of wheelchairs or mobility aids could help
I have just remembered when he fell off his mobility scooter on the river bank, and it took almost a whole troop of Boy Scouts to pick him up again!!
But as he worsened he was unable to ride the scooter, I became unable to push the wheelchair, let alone get him and out of it,......
So if mobilisation is possible, just keep,on going, going, going. Anywhere any time!! And build some memories!
I hope to. I think it won't be long before a wheelchair will become a necessity and I'm hoping I'll be able to cope with it.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
I hope to. I think it won't be long before a wheelchair will become a necessity and I'm hoping I'll be able to cope with it.
Lack of mobility is a really big problem, my hubby's mobility has gone downhill massively the last 4 months, hes been unsteady and wobbly for a year or so and had physio people coming to our house weekly to do exercises, but it didnt help very much.
Hes now housebound except when they pick him up to go to a day centre once a week. He can hardly walk from one chair to the other without nearly falling. His legs just wont work or hold him up. Hes in hospital now since last week after 3 falls in one morning. Hes being discharged to a rehab centre to try and help his mobility. I'm still in lots of pain after over a week week ago of trying to lift him up before lifeline contacted paramedics, he doesn't ever want me to press lifeline button that's on his wrist.
I REALLY cant cope anymore I'm getting panic attacks at thought of him coming home after rehab. I'm 78 yrs old we've been married 57 yrs. But I'm really struggling, Thinking that while hes away from home is good time to get ball rolling with looking at permanent residential care, he wont be self funding though so I know it's going to be complicated and long road ??
I'm worried SW will keep offering all these carers to come in which hubby has always in the past refused. But they wouldn't be here 24/7 I'm afraid they will wear me down and I'll give in and have him home, and then it will all be back to how it was before he went into hospital.

Macduff

Feb 16, 2018
West Sussex
You need help right now. Get on to your local social services, call NHS Living with Dementia team and look at support via your local council, there should be a carer helpline. Do it now before you fall apart. Take care. Good luck!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH is immobile after a 12 week hospital stay. However he is having private physio and is now able to weight bear and yesterday walked a few steps with a frame. I was determined we weren't going to stuck indoors, so I bought him a wheel chair with a battery powered wheel and a wheelchair adapted vehicle with powered winch. Sometimes we go out just for an hour and have an ice cream. It makes such a difference as he can't be left alone but the biggest plus is the stimulation it gives him. When he came home from hospital I didn't leave our property for18 weeks I knew that I couldn't sustain that. It was the best decision I made as holidays are out of the question.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
You need help right now. Get on to your local social services, call NHS Living with Dementia team and look at support via your local council, there should be a carer helpline. Do it now before you fall apart. Take care. Good luck!
Thankyou @Macduff, I will try and ring S/S or adult social care, not sure who I should be contacting. But it fills me with fear, at there reaction and that I should be coping with all of this better, and that they refuse to allow him to go into care and make me have more help at home, OH has always refused that. Can they do that do you know, will they listen to me sympathecticly.
I'm not good with confrontation. To be honest, hubby is not happy at home, never smiles but cant make conversation or read cant follow tv, all stuff he used to love doing, especially watching sports, but when hes in hospital or respite he seems to like that environment and actually smiles at times, and tries to chat to people. My daughter says he would prob be happier in nice care home ???

Macduff

Feb 16, 2018
West Sussex
Thankyou @Macduff, I will try and ring S/S or adult social care, not sure who I should be contacting. But it fills me with fear, at there reaction and that I should be coping with all of this better, and that they refuse to allow him to go into care and make me have more help at home, OH has always refused that. Can they do that do you know, will they listen to me sympathecticly.
I'm not good with confrontation. To be honest, hubby is not happy at home, never smiles but cant make conversation or read cant follow tv, all stuff he used to love doing, especially watching sports, but when hes in hospital or respite he seems to like that environment and actually smiles at times, and tries to chat to people. My daughter says he would prob be happier in nice care home ???

You must not be frightened or worried about contacting social services. They are there to help you and will not be judgmental. Tell them your age, what is happening with your husband and that you are struggling to cope. Ask them if they could undertake a needs assessment so you will know what help you need. Sounds to me like you need more than help at home and social services will help you work out care needs for both you and your husband.

pevensey

Feb 14, 2012
South East Coast.
You must not be frightened or worried about contacting social services. They are there to help you and will not be judgmental. Tell them your age, what is happening with your husband and that you are struggling to cope. Ask them if they could undertake a needs assessment so you will know what help you need. Sounds to me like you need more than help at home and social services will help you work out care needs for both you and your husband.
Thankyou @Macduff, hubby has been transferred from hospital to a residential rehab /carehome although the maximum stay is 6 weeks. Hes to have physio therapy there. It's a really lovely place, a happy place, and staff so good and just happy all the time AND hubby is smiling and chatty in his own way, he actually seems happy and content, it amazing. I come home feeling at peace, I goto bed knowing I'm going to sleep.. This is the first time in about a year I've seen him settled like this, if only there was a permanent care home out there like this one.While hes there he will be assessed and I think I will be too, and financially assessed. So I'll be able to say how I'm coping with this awful illness and its consequences and how hubby is coping, as he cant explain how hes feeling. This place has got such a lovely feel about it as soon as you walk in, a buzz of activity with carers interacting with residents, playing board games, even if the person PWD cant workout how to play shes having fun. . I slept all night last night without waking up, haven't done that for couple years.

Macduff

Feb 16, 2018
West Sussex
Thankyou @Macduff, hubby has been transferred from hospital to a residential rehab /carehome although the maximum stay is 6 weeks. Hes to have physio therapy there. It's a really lovely place, a happy place, and staff so good and just happy all the time AND hubby is smiling and chatty in his own way, he actually seems happy and content, it amazing. I come home feeling at peace, I goto bed knowing I'm going to sleep.. This is the first time in about a year I've seen him settled like this, if only there was a permanent care home out there like this one.While hes there he will be assessed and I think I will be too, and financially assessed. So I'll be able to say how I'm coping with this awful illness and its consequences and how hubby is coping, as he cant explain how hes feeling. This place has got such a lovely feel about it as soon as you walk in, a buzz of activity with carers interacting with residents, playing board games, even if the person PWD cant workout how to play shes having fun. . I slept all night last night without waking up, haven't done that for couple years.
That's wonderful. Take the time to recharge and sort things out. Hope it all goes well. Take care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch