Losing weight

Aave21

Jan 5, 2024
Hello everyone.
I am new here and happy that I’ve found this forum.
My grandmother (81) was diagnosed with dementia a year ago and since then everything happened very fast.
In the last 3-4 months she definitely reached the last stage of the desease. She is incontinent, sleeps most of the time, speech has pretty much gone. She falls almost every day because she is still able to walk. The problem we are facing right now is that she is losing weight extremely fast. No matter the fact that she has three or more meals a day she is still losing weight. Last month she was 55 kg now she is 50kg. for less then a month she lost 5kg. Not really sure how much time she has left and what to expect.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Aave21 and firstly welcome to Dementia Support Forum. This is a friendly and supportive place with lots of shared experience of dementia.
I am sorry to read about your Grandmother. Sometimes, sadly, the deterioration can be quite rapid. Is she in a care home environment, or living with family. In either case, her GP should be able to advise on her current situation and whether she is now at end of life stage. If in a care home, I would suggest you speak with the manager too, I attach a link about end of life care which may help. I hope so
Please be aware that even if that is the case, this period will vary hugely from person to person.
Cherish the moments you have with her, the smiles, the speech when it does happen etc, and tell her how much you love her. Even if she doesn't respond, she may well still be hearing you.
Wishing you strength

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Hello @Aave21

I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother. Dementia seems to go along for a while at a certain level and then suddenly everything can change all at once. It seems to bounce down steps rather than a gradual decline for a lot of people.

My mum lost lots of weight when she went into a Carehome and became a lot less mobile than she was (loss of muscle I think). She is given fortisips which are fortified protein drinks. Maybe your grandmother already has them but if not ask about it as I think they have to be prescribed.

It’s hard to say what to expect because every one’s path seems to differ. There are key stages or characteristics. Sometimes it can take a lot longer than you might think too. Is your grandmother in a Carehome or still at her own home?

Aave21

Jan 5, 2024
Firstly, thank you for the response. She is living with me and my family that's why i know that she is receiving the best possible care. Our GP told us that losing weight is something normal at this stage of the desease and nothing more.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Aave21

Losing weight in the last stage of dementia is indeed normal. What is happening is that the body is beginning to very slowly close down and the digestive system is having trouble processing the nutrients in the food (a process called cachexia).
The protein shakes (ensure and the like) already mentioned may help make absorption of the nutrients easier. Have a word with your GP

Im afraid that there is no knowing how long this stage may go on for
xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023