Loo blocking - any practical advice?

feinn

Jan 7, 2019
Hi,
As incontinence became an issue for my wife I use absorbent pads and pants to keep her dry. She detests these so stuffing them down the loo and blocking the toilet has become routine.
For a long time she would take my hand and have me accompany her to the toilet but now she definitely wants her privacy and firmly closes the door when she goes.
I tried big signs in the loo, reminding her when she goes not to flush anything other than paper but none of that works. Does anyone have any experience of this or could anyone suggest a practical solution?
It's stressful, probably beyond the practical problem and I'd be grateful if anyone has any tips.

Thanks.

asriela

Oct 17, 2021
It's all so awful isnt it? I dont know how we cope. The only think i could suggest is putting a comode bowl or one of those plastic bedpan holder over the toilet bowl or maybe try suspending a liner bag or even a plastic bag so that access to the actual toilet is limited. This might not work of course if your wife is still sufficiently with it to remove the bowl/covering etc.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Could you get your wife to use a commode instead of the toilet? This would probably mean getting an external key for the toilet door and locking the door. Alternatively, some kind of wire mesh in the toilet bowl would ‘catch’ the incontinence pad / pants but this would only work if your wife was unable to remove the mesh and it sounds as if she is still quite string and agile.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @feinn
I appreciate you feel your wife has a right to privacy and it's tough to go against that ... you can't, though, be living with constant blockages; not good for either of you

maybe make sure there's no lock on the door and make an excuse to be barging in at an opportune moment .... eg 'sorry brought a clean towel' 'oops forgot the new soap' 'apologies, I didn't see you come in here' 'so sorry, forgot you'd gone to the bathroom' and then, calmly, no fuss 'oh let me take that, no problem, will let you be now' .... possibly keep a lidded container in the bathroom so you have somewhere to pop the items, maybe with a liner for hygiene/ease of use

I did this with my dad when I knew he was having trouble with various bathroom issues and he got used to me 'happening' to be around to pass him things and turn on taps etc (eg he lost the process of washing his hands and needed to be talked through it)