Long term dementia

Coxy21

Oct 3, 2022
My husband was diagnosed with dementia in 2016 , the progress of his dementia has been very slow which we are grateful for. To date his memory has completely disappeared. He lives in the moment.
otherwise he is physically quite well, he can still take care of his hygiene needs and dress himself. Etc. he sometimes gets very frustrated that he can on longer do everyday things like using the telephone, remote tv control. In fact anything that requires memory.
I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced this slow progress as most people I know seem to deteriorate quite quickly once diagnosis is confirmed.
my Husband thrives in company and a dementia group we attend he becomes chatty and animated, in fact strangers do not realize that he has dementia at all. I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced this slow progress and if so , could we be lucky enough to have a few more years of recognition or could this suddenly change and go rapidly down hill.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I am so glad you posted this. I have been wondering the same thing. So far my husband’s dementia seems to be very slow. He started showing symptoms about 10 years ago and was diagnosed 2 years ago. Each time he goes to the memory clinc he tests the same or a little better. He, for the most part, is normal except he has no short term memory. He only remembers things for a minute or two. Except for his short term memory he has had almost no progression. He even still has a sense of humor.

His doctor said, when the time comes, unless things change he will probably die of natural causes and not dementia.

There hopefully are others on here that can let both of us know if at some point there could be a rapid progression.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was diagnosed in 2005 but I believe the dementia began at least five years earlier when I was having difficulty coping with his mood swings and confusion. He died in 2014 so I reckon he had dementia for at least 14 years.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Coxy21 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I do not have any experience of the slow decline that you describe so I do hope that you find @Cardinal ‘s comments helpful.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, sorry we have to meet this way.
My wife was diagnosed mid 50s and her progress was very slow too, I quit work to care for and things got a whole lot better, when I was here with her 24/7.
Most of the time she remembered who I was, other times I'd be her brother, neighbour or just a friend.
It can be a lonely life as a carer, than the lord I found this place otherwise I really don't know what I'd have done. Take care. K

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
My mother was diagnosed in 2010 and died in 2017. She was showing symptoms for at least two or three years before diagnosis. I think that age and general health may be factors. My mother was otherwise healthy but she was 80 when she was diagnosed. After diagnosis, with medication and support in the form of carers she improved for about 18 to 21 months and then had a fairly steady decline. She was in a very poor condition the last two years of her life. My mother had Alzheimer's Disease. I understand that with vascular dementia there are steeper steps down and then plateaus which can last for quite a while.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My mum was diagnosed in 2014 after a dementia related crisis in Dec 2013.

I'd had some concerns for a few years, and as far back as 2008 there were signs of uncharacteristic behaviour noticed by both myself and my brother.

She was I'd say early stages until 2016/7, and passed away in 2023 aged 93.

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
Similarly to @Cardinal describes of her husband, my mum (77) has been showing signs for 10 years and possibly longer but has only had a diagnosis since Jan 2023. She is, on the whole, physically quite able and mobile and remains articulate and animated even though the content of her sentences does not always match the conversation!
I assume this is a slow decline though the need for assistance has gradually increased and yet, the cognitive decline and memory loss is extreme. Mum cannot operate anything, cannot read for comprehension, cannot really write or spell or even do her signature any longer. It’s difficult to place at what stage she is currently. However she does still recognize me even though I am often referred to as her sister rather than daughter.
Its such a horrible thing to watch, seeing your pwd decline little by little.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
My mum was diagnosed in 2017 with Alzheimer’s and definitely had MCI prior to that. She did very well for a long time and them sudden went down hill in 3 big stages. She now had a diagnosis of mixed dementia and it’s the vascular dementia that causes the sudden big declines.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
My husband was diagnosed with dementia in 2016 , the progress of his dementia has been very slow which we are grateful for. To date his memory has completely disappeared. He lives in the moment.
otherwise he is physically quite well, he can still take care of his hygiene needs and dress himself. Etc. he sometimes gets very frustrated that he can on longer do everyday things like using the telephone, remote tv control. In fact anything that requires memory.
I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced this slow progress as most people I know seem to deteriorate quite quickly once diagnosis is confirmed.
my Husband thrives in company and a dementia group we attend he becomes chatty and animated, in fact strangers do not realize that he has dementia at all. I would like to ask if anyone else has experienced this slow progress and if so , could we be lucky enough to have a few more years of recognition or could this suddenly change and go rapidly down hill.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
my husband is the same. Slow decline over at least 7 yrs. he is as everything you said about operating devices, his ability to 'hide' his dementia, and he is still clean in his habits and able to get dressed and undressed himself etc. I am grateful for it. I do inow the only way is down, there will be no return from this horrible journey. would not think about it but just enjoy day to day what still can be enjoyed. Be prepared but do not think about how bad it could be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksacytotec