LO moved from hospital to assessment bed - but this place is awful?!

lake_disappointment

Jul 23, 2022
My FIL has Alzheimer's and was diagnosed two years ago. He's been living with my bf for almost two years while my bf has been trying to find a solution. However, that solution was presented to us when FIL broke him arm a month ago. He then ended up with a UTI and has been in hospital ever since, and has seemingly gone downhill quite quickly.

He's lost a lot of weight, is more confused and has only just started walking again. He was also incontinent for a while although thankfully he seems to be able to go to the bathroom now. The doctors have all concluded he no longer has capacity.

The hospital has now moved him to an assessment bed while they figure out what his needs are. However the assessment bed is awful - it's hellishly busy, noisy, and some very mentally ill people and not nearly enough staff. My FIL looks very vulnerable.

We are self funding and were trying for ages to move him into a care home nearby but they wouldn't take him as he didn't want to go, and apparently that would "disrupt the other residents". Now he needs more care they definitely won't take him - they prefer to start off needing minimal care, aiming for it to build as the disease progresses.

What can we do? We're worried he will be stuck in this assessment bed for a month while they figure out what to do/where to go, and what that might do to my FIL's health and wellbeing. But also do we need to wait to be able to assess my FIL's needs?

On the one hand we're relieved he's finally left my bf's home, but we definitely didn't want it to be like this!

backin

Feb 6, 2024
Complain to the manager, complain to social services and anyone you can think of. Email leaves a trail.
HAs he been assessed by social services?
chace them up each day.
local MP, care home owner, cqc....

same thing happened to my mum. I spent much time with her as the staff were pretty useless. Got assessment in two weeks and moved in four

ErinW

Feb 27, 2024
Northern Ireland
I am so sorry that yous are going through this. The fact that someone who is meant to care for people actually said he would disrupt the other patients is completely unacceptable. I worked in an Alzheimers care home and you mentioned that he has a UTI, for people suffering with this horrendous disease you wouldn't believe the affect it has on them. If a resident wasn't their usual self that would be the first thing we would check for so I really hope they get that under control. As for him losing weight if he isn't already on them I would ask can he be put on Ensure Plus although from what you have said they don't sound the most helpful, you shouldn't have to buy them they should be providing them but you can purchase them on amazon and they are like milkshakes that help gain weight and include vitamins - just something to look into. I'm sorry my response is short term but I do hope it helps. I hope he gets the help he needs and a more permanent solution because it takes a toll on everyone so look after yourselves too. With these situations unfortunately you just need to keep hounding them and make them realise the situation yous are in don't think you are being a nuisance it is their job to help people in your situation. Best of luck, Erin.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @lake_disappointment

If your FIL stays there to the end there will be a Best Interest Meeting about his needs and after that there should be help in finding an appropriate home. However, if he is self-funding you can move him beforehand if you find somewhere that will accept him.

Not all care homes are the same. Many that say they accept dementia only want residents in the early, easy stages of dementia and then when the dementia progresses will give you notice to find somewhere else. You do not want to get him into a care home only for them to turn round a couple of months later saying that they cannot meet his needs and you will have to find somewhere else.

When you contact a care home be brutely honest about your dads needs and ask them how they would deal with them - woolly answers probably mean that they have little experience. Also ask them what sort of behaviour they would not tolerate. Some care homes wont tolerate being up at night, incontinence, resisting personal care, going into other peoples rooms or loss of mobility - all of these things are normal dementia things, some of which your dad will almost certainly get at some stage.

Look beyond the decor and flashy facilities to look at the care provided and how the carers interact with the residents. Are there any times when the residents are left on their own? What is their attitude to odd behaviour? Do they stop and chat to the residents, even if that person has language problems? How often do they check on those who stay in their rooms? The care home my mum was in looked shabby and old fashioned, but the care was wonderful and they looked after her right up to the end.

You may have to look further afield than you have been so far

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul dennison