Live in companionship to ease loneliness and housekeeping

tess66

Dec 29, 2023
Hi my dad has Altzeimers in the early stages - we are looking for a way to have someone live in but their role would actually be part time - really just ensuring he has his meals cooked and a little light house work. I’ve looked at live in carer companions but the cost is prohibitive and he does not need a carer - he is fit/mobile/dresses and washes himself/no medical needs. Has anyone got any ideas of where to look ?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @tess66 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your dad. I don't have direct knowledge of live in carers but other Forum members may have. When my wife was at home we employed a befriender/carer for a few hours on one day a week. They helped my wife with personal hygiene and care, did some light housework, helped walk and feed the dog and took my wife out to cafés. I contracted with a care company recommended by our local council and paid from my wife's pension income.

tess66

Dec 29, 2023
Hi - thank you for your reply - i do have someone in at the moment 1 hour a day but it doesn’t seem to give me any peace of mind - but upping this may be a way forward - it just seems that you have to pay carer fees when you just really don’t need them to provide that level of care - but I’m probably living in a dream world!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Some care agencies will charge less if its just companionship that is required
Alternatively try somewhere like Age UK. Not all branches of Age UK do this, but many places do - especially if they have a Help at Home scheme. Crossroads/Tu Vida are another organisation that provides companionship, although they arnt in all areas of the country. Obviosly, you would have to pay, but it is less than a carer.