Lewy Body Dementia Medication

Chocco

Aug 9, 2021
My OH has been on Rivastigmine from Oct 2022, dosage increased to 4.5mg twice a day after a downturn in his condition in April 2023.
The increase didn't seem to make any difference to his Imposter Syndrome which is rampant, mild hallucinations, sleep disturbance and the usual time/space confusion.
The dementia consultant initially wanted to put him on Quitiapine, before he even met my OH - I queried it because my OH was not having any violent or aggessive behaviour issues. Now he wants my OH to go on Sertraline which is an anti depressant and again I am querying this because my OH is not depressed and like me, has had a life long reluctance to ever use anti-depressants.
I am asking, through the Older Adults Mental Health team if there is any alternative to Rivastigmine because I have seen mention of many other dementia meds or if the Rivastigmine dosage can be increased again. They told me to put forward the meds I think should be considered and they would put them to the consultant for review. I said that as the consultant had the expertise, can't he suggest something and they said "he already has".
I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle and feel like just giving up pursuing this.
Should I just be accepting what the consultant suggests?
Any advice please?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The most successful medication for my wife with LBD was memantine with a low off label dose of epilim, chewable sodium valproate.