Keeping the spray away...

velademar

May 1, 2022
Hi my OH with bFTD has started weeing on his way to the toilet in the night. He gets up 2 or 3 times. He wears pull up pants so so far no nightmare of bed wetting but he obviously doesn't think to wait until he's actually over the loo. Thankfully also it is usually only in the bathroom, but it's a worrying development on top of everything else as I now have to get up with him every time he goes to make sure he doesn't slip in it as his mobility isn't great. Any tips greatfully recieved 😌

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if he waits too long @velademar nad there is no way I can think of to help him get up earlier.

2 or 3 times is quite frequent. Has he had his prostate checked? If he has an enlarged prostate there is medication available.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It might be urge incontinence where he knows he needs to go but everything starts happening before he gets there. There maybe a medication that can help strengthen the bladder so worth asking your GP.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
Hi @velademar , my wife is the same. I'm afraid the only advice I can give is to do what I do. It can be tiring, but I disturb her reasonably often in the pretence of needing myself and saying she might as well go with me. She gets a bit grumpy but it saves me unnecessary hassle

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My husband starts fidgeting when he wants to go so I wake him up. He often says he will go in am minute but I insist he goes straight away and nag him until he goes.

velademar

May 1, 2022
Thank you all for your tips, we are with GP next week so I'll ask about meds and prostate check although he doesn't go frequently during the day. Due to his restlessness and snoring we sleep in separate rooms otherwise I'd get no sleep but I usually hear him moving about so try and go with him when he goes.

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Hi my OH with bFTD has started weeing on his way to the toilet in the night. He gets up 2 or 3 times. He wears pull up pants so so far no nightmare of bed wetting but he obviously doesn't think to wait until he's actually over the loo. Thankfully also it is usually only in the bathroom, but it's a worrying development on top of everything else as I now have to get up with him every time he goes to make sure he doesn't slip in it as his mobility isn't great. Any tips greatfully recieved 😌
I am having the same issue with my OH. Yesterday we had 4 trouser changes through the day. He wears pullups then pants then trousers. But he was trying to get himself ready for the toilet in the hallway before getting to the loo so I think that’s where the wetting was happening. Also he doesn’t tuck himself into the pullup after he has been to toilet. Today I have followed him each time he has been and afterward made sure he is tucked in. No changes required but it is annoying having to go with him each time. He was also up x2 through the night. I have to get him to the toilet as his mobility in bare feet is poor. He also fidgets in the night before he needs to go.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @velademar , exactly the same as my OH. Two nightly visits and pull ups. I've put a puppy pad around the toilet,I cut a piece out in the middle to fit. At least if he wees on the floor it's goes on the pad . Try and make sure the pad doesn't move. I stand a couple of cleaning bottles on the sides around the toilet to help keep it in place. My OH mobility is poor too so watch for slips.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I am having the same issue with my OH. Yesterday we had 4 trouser changes through the day. He wears pullups then pants then trousers. But he was trying to get himself ready for the toilet in the hallway before getting to the loo so I think that’s where the wetting was happening. Also he doesn’t tuck himself into the pullup after he has been to toilet. Today I have followed him each time he has been and afterward made sure he is tucked in. No changes required but it is annoying having to go with him each time. He was also up x2 through the night. I have to get him to the toilet as his mobility in bare feet is poor. He also fidgets in the night before he needs to go.
My OH doesn't tuck in either. I'm trying to get him to pull the pull up down completely so that when it's pulled back up there's more chance of being covered 😃 I know what you mean ,we have two night visits I attend to check him . We had a wet bed the first time because he wasn't tucked in so getting up is easier than a bed change. Sleep deprived though 🙁

velademar

May 1, 2022
Hi @velademar , exactly the same as my OH. Two nightly visits and pull ups. I've put a puppy pad around the toilet,I cut a piece out in the middle to fit. At least if he wees on the floor it's goes on the pad . Try and make sure the pad doesn't move. I stand a couple of cleaning bottles on the sides around the toilet to help keep it in place. My OH mobility is poor too so watch for slips.
Thank you a puppy pad sounds a good idea, I was trying to think of something like that. I'll have to go with him at night now too he completely missed the loo on Sunday night. Very 😴 I guess I will be from.now on. Trying to have early.nights to make up for it but he goes an extra time then, I feel I'm wasting my life at the mo.

velademar

May 1, 2022
My OH doesn't tuck in either. I'm trying to get him to pull the pull up down completely so that when it's pulled back up there's more chance of being covered 😃 I know what you mean ,we have two night visits I attend to check him . We had a wet bed the first time because he wasn't tucked in so getting up is easier than a bed change. Sleep deprived though 🙁
Me too see my other reply 🙄

Postmill

Apr 5, 2024
Hi, been through this problem, enlarged prostrate was a problem, doctor prescribed Tamulosin and Finasteroid to shrink prostrate, took a while to kick in and I won’t go as far to say it cleared up but over time there is a bit of an improvement , defo get prostrate checked. Also white vinegar spray on the floor got rid of the urine smell which was getting a problem as well .

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thank you a puppy pad sounds a good idea, I was trying to think of something like that. I'll have to go with him at night now too he completely missed the loo on Sunday night. Very 😴 I guess I will be from.now on. Trying to have early.nights to make up for it but he goes an extra time then, I feel I'm wasting my life at the mo.
Snap 😘 puppy pads are not perfect but they definitely help.

Last edited:

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@velademar , I've found something that works well to stop puppy pad slipping. I've bought a cheap roll of the anti slip all purpose matting . About £5.99 a roll and a small piece under the puppy pad prevents movement quite well. Thought I'd pass it on 😃

velademar

May 1, 2022
@velademar , I've found something that works well to stop puppy pad slipping. I've bought a cheap roll of the anti slip all purpose matting . About £5.99 a roll and a small piece under the puppy pad prevents movement quite well. Thought I'd pass it on 😃
Thank you for this, I'll check it out at weekend x

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Hi, been through this problem, enlarged prostrate was a problem, doctor prescribed Tamulosin and Finasteroid to shrink prostrate, took a while to kick in and I won’t go as far to say it cleared up but over time there is a bit of an improvement , defo get prostrate checked. Also white vinegar spray on the floor got rid of the urine smell which was getting a problem as well .
I am going to get Gp to check my OH prostrate. We have already discussed this. And if he didn’t have dementia I am sure it’s something that would be considered.