Journeys end and life goes on

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hello everyone, I’ve finally admitted that dad has gone. We said our goodbyes yesterday at his funeral, it was a quiet affair with just 19 of us attending the ceremony at the Crematorium. We then celebrated his life with lots of homemade tea and cake back at my house, followed later with his favourite meal of fish, chips and mushy peas.

I have donated his floral tributes to his care home, so they can make them up into table decorations for a Mother’s Day afternoon tea on Sunday. I also took some which I will take to the cemetery on Sunday where my grandparents, my mums ashes and when they are ready my dad’s ashes will be scattered.

Dad was 82 when he died suddenly on the 13th March from a heart attack. He had been in a care home for 11months but he had suffered from Dementia for 5-6 years. Apart from the Dementia taking away my dad bit by bit, he had always been fit and well so his death was a shock.

I wrote my original post when he died called ‘RIP Dad’ on an other area of the forum ‘I care for a person with Dementia’ as that is where I always visited, to be honest I hadn’t noticed this area before and only discovered it a couple of days after dad had died.

Dad has left a big whole in my life now. I had spent the last 5 years or so revolving my life around his. Thinking, worrying about him and caring for him, until I finally had to admit defeat and place him in a care home for his own safety. However I now feel guilty admitting that I am slightly relieved his fight with Dementia is finally over and he passed quickly before the Dementia took everything away from him. I also take heart that he still saw me as someone recognisable and he trusted and very occasionally he would say my name in context, even though he had lost most of his communication and cognitive skills.

So life goes on and I will be starting the process of probate probably next week. I’m hoping it will be simple. My husband and I are executors of dad’s will and I’m the only beneficiary, being an only child. I’m lucky that I’ve been looking after dad’s financial affairs etc for years and as I sold his house in November, the only thing dad has remaining are bank accounts and a building Society account which he held jointly with me, so that has immediately just transferred to me. I need the Probate just for his bank accounts, there is nothing else, no debts, no shares etc.

Sorry I’ve written far more than I intended. My heart goes out to everyone who I have joined in this area of the forum. Take care.

Elle x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My condolences to you @Elle3

However I now feel guilty admitting that I am slightly relieved his fight with Dementia is finally over and he passed quickly before the Dementia took everything away from him.

Please don`t feel guilty about this. If you can, see it as a blessing.

There`s no need to apologise for posting your thoughts and feelings. It`s what Talking Point is for.

It sounds as if, however big the hole your dad has left, you will be able to get on with your life and your dad has left you without complications.

Be thankful.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
My condolences to you @Elle3

Please don`t feel guilty about this. If you can, see it as a blessing.

There`s no need to apologise for posting your thoughts and feelings. It`s what Talking Point is for.

It sounds as if, however big the hole your dad has left, you will be able to get on with your life and your dad has left you without complications.

Be thankful.

Thank you Grannie G, his quick death is a blessing, I’ve been told that a lot these last couple of weeks. X

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Big hugs @Elle3 - I think a sudden death is very shocking to all of us left behind but the death from dementia on someone on a syringe driver for end of life meds & how drawn out that can be as in the case of my mum is something traumatic. I think I am still in shock & quite numb from it all... so yes I can see why people have said his sudden death was a blessing & also a blessing for the non complication of his affairs financially & legally.

That is another blessing as my situation is not so & indeed, it is not proving helpful but no one is surprised as that is how my mum was. Xx

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Dad, I have always read your posts and followed your story.

When I lost my Uncle 5 years ago, I felt lost and also as if a big cloud had lifted from me too......I didn’t know what to do with myself, found myself driving to him absentmindedly......then realising he was gone.

I was his sole carer, as I was for my Aunt who had died a few years earlier (they were like Mum and Dad to me), and even though the latter years were very tough and at times I struggled to cope with everything, I did and I am so glad I could do it for them, they were always there for me and I for them.

They really appreciated what I did and my Uncle thanked me every day as I left him.....telling me also he didn’t know what he would do without me.

Luckily he too had sorted his finances and I was the only executor and beneficiary, so was able to handle the process myself.

Your absolutely right in that life goes on....I hope everything goes smoothly for you with the probate.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Sorry to read of your loss. Don't feel guilty - you loved your Dad, did your best for him, and didn't want him to linger in distressing circumstances. May he rest in peace. xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
@Elle3 I understand where you’re coming from. My dad, although he was 90, had remained surprisingly robust apart from the dementia so I know what a shock it is when suddenly dad is gone.

My dad’s funeral was almost 2 months ago so I’m a little ahead of you in the grieving stakes. It still feels slightly surreal. I still have to pull myself up when I’m about to say to someone that dad/grandad would enjoy that.

It does get easier and I’m glad that my dad, like yours, did not succumb to the final ravages of dementia...

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Dad, I have always read your posts and followed your story.

When I lost my Uncle 5 years ago, I felt lost and also as if a big cloud had lifted from me too......I didn’t know what to do with myself, found myself driving to him absentmindedly......then realising he was gone.

I was his sole carer, as I was for my Aunt who had died a few years earlier (they were like Mum and Dad to me), and even though the latter years were very tough and at times I struggled to cope with everything, I did and I am so glad I could do it for them, they were always there for me and I for them.

They really appreciated what I did and my Uncle thanked me every day as I left him.....telling me also he didn’t know what he would do without me.

Luckily he too had sorted his finances and I was the only executor and beneficiary, so was able to handle the process myself.

Your absolutely right in that life goes on....I hope everything goes smoothly for you with the probate.
Thank you Diane, Dementia can take so much, but you can also gain so much too. I don’t think I would have seen or been as close to my dad this past few years if it hadn’t been for the Dementia, so in some ways I’m very thankful for that. X

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Sorry to read of your loss. Don't feel guilty - you loved your Dad, did your best for him, and didn't want him to linger in distressing circumstances. May he rest in peace. xx
Thank you Marcelle123, that’s very true, I wouldn’t have wanted him to suffer. I like to think he passed how he would have wanted to go, not by the Dementia reducing him to nothing. X

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
@Elle3 I understand where you’re coming from. My dad, although he was 90, had remained surprisingly robust apart from the dementia so I know what a shock it is when suddenly dad is gone.

My dad’s funeral was almost 2 months ago so I’m a little ahead of you in the grieving stakes. It still feels slightly surreal. I still have to pull myself up when I’m about to say to someone that dad/grandad would enjoy that.

It does get easier and I’m glad that my dad, like yours, did not succumb to the final ravages of dementia...
Thank you Bunpoots. I feel myself still wanting to hold on to all the familiar things, like being on here and wanting to visit the Care home. I’ve spent the last 5/6 years not thinking of myself and just planning everything around dad, it’s going to be hard to change that.

I’m so sorry for your loss too. X

Sass Mac

Jan 27, 2014
Good to read your post Elle. It sounds as though the funeral was a lovely, homely and fitting tribute to your Dad. I'm there with you being an only child. It helps so much to post and read others' posts doesn't it?
I collect my Dad's ashes today, not sure how I will be.
I am however getting occasional glimpses of the person I used to be before Dad's dementia and the full time worry that comes with it.
Love and hugs
Sass

lis66

Aug 7, 2015
Sending hugs and strength to you Elle3 and also to you sassmac I two am an only child and on this journey with my mum for six years I hope something else takes her before end stage ad it is such a cruel illness x

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Sending hugs and strength to you Elle3 and also to you sassmac I two am an only child and on this journey with my mum for six years I hope something else takes her before end stage ad it is such a cruel illness x

Snap - I was also my mum’s only child ( my dad was married before & had 3 other kids all daughters) & big hugs for everyone tonight. My own family on my dad’s side have been extremely hurtful, considering what my mum & dad had done for them in the past x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Good to read your post Elle. It sounds as though the funeral was a lovely, homely and fitting tribute to your Dad. I'm there with you being an only child. It helps so much to post and read others' posts doesn't it?
I collect my Dad's ashes today, not sure how I will be.
I am however getting occasional glimpses of the person I used to be before Dad's dementia and the full time worry that comes with it.
Love and hugs
Sass

Thank you Sass Mac, it was. I’ve found myself the last couple of days sorting all my mum and dad’s photos into albums. It’s been good to see dad how he used to be with mum. That’s how I like to remember him most. The little, stooped, white haired old man he became in the care home with no memory, was only for a very short time in the scheme of things, so I’m sure I can let my memory blot over that a little in time.

I hope collecting the ashes wasn’t too painful for you. Do you know what you are going to do with them? I already know my dad’s ashes are to be scattered on the memorial lawn where his mum and dad’s ashes and my mums ashes were also scattered.

After reading many posts on here about ‘the invisibles’ and all the disagreements etc. With family. It does sometimes make me feel good about being an only child. But then again you also don’t always want to take all the responsibility and make all the decisions alone, that’s why I think being on here really helps.

Take care and big ((hugs)) to you too.

Elle x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016

Thank you and sending you ((hugs)) Lis66. I think in a way I am finding dad’s death slightly easier to deal with because it was so quick, yes it was a big shock at the time, but I just keep thinking there was still something left of my old dad and I didn’t have to see him suffer, this is a comfort I wish for everyone with this awful disease.

Elle x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Snap - I was also my mum’s only child ( my dad was married before & had 3 other kids all daughters) & big hugs for everyone tonight. My own family on my dad’s side have been extremely hurtful, considering what my mum & dad had done for them in the past x

Hi Kikki21, there are definite advantages to being an only child, but keeping up with your posts I think your mum certainly hasn’t made it easy for you. My heart goes out to you. Elle x

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi Kikki21, there are definite advantages to being an only child, but keeping up with your posts I think your mum certainly hasn’t made it easy for you. My heart goes out to you. Elle x

Thank you @Elle3 i am still baffled as to why my mum didn’t make me executor. I am really hurt by it, i’m not going to lie, it is like the final insult to me. Maybe she wanted to save me from all of the dealings of it but I just don’t get it xx

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Thank you @Elle3 i am still baffled as to why my mum didn’t make me executor. I am really hurt by it, i’m not going to lie, it is like the final insult to me. Maybe she wanted to save me from all of the dealings of it but I just don’t get it xx

I can totally understand why you feel like that, but maybe your mum thought she was being kind to you and that you would have enough to deal with, especially as you also run your own business.

We can never work out or understand sometimes why certain decisions are made by our loved ones. But you have to believe they were made for the best intentions, otherwise it will eat away at you. Please don't let it overshadow your feelings for your mum. x

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
As Executor and sole beneficiary of my dad's Will. I started the probate process yesterday all on-line. I filled in the HMRC Inheritance tax estimate, there will be no inheritance tax to pay thankfully. Then I went onto completing the Probate forms.

All I can say is thank goodness I have been managing dad's finances for the past few years so I know exactly what he has. His house was sold at the end of last year so that is one less thing to worry about. There are just a couple of bank accounts, a private pension with nothing owing and a debt to the Funeral Directors and the DWP. I have been waiting since September last year for them to send me a document to let me know how much I have to pay them back for an over payment of Attendance Allowance and then added to that an over payment of Winter Fuel allowance. For the purposes of the HMRC/Probate I have just done an estimate of what I think is owed.

I've posted dad's original Will to the Probate office today, via Special Delivery. Fingers crossed I have completed everything correctly.

Elle x

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I can totally understand why you feel like that, but maybe your mum thought she was being kind to you and that you would have enough to deal with, especially as you also run your own business.

We can never work out or understand sometimes why certain decisions are made by our loved ones. But you have to believe they were made for the best intentions, otherwise it will eat away at you. Please don't let it overshadow your feelings for your mum. x

At the time of making her will, I was still working for the council & my Business didn’t exist so it is even more baffling & so many people are asking me why aren’t I executor & think it is weird & yes it is but my mum was never consistent xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch