I've been avoiding this part of TP, but I think it's time to accept it...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I hope you do manage to get away and have a break.

On the subject of the ancient world, what is the intended meaning of the Latin motto in your avatar?
I love the ancient world, Greece is such an amazing place but sadly I couldn't fly out with R and spent the last two weeks at home waiting for an urgent MRI scan of my spine. R's apartment is in Akrata at the foot of the Peloponnese and on the shore of the Gulf of Corinth -from there you can go anywhere and find something of historical interest though I advise if anyone does travel out to that region they are mindful it gets damn hot in the summer months and is not conducive to walking around in the day so much which I can attest to having done it many times. Olympia was the most inspiring place I have ever been to as well as the acropolis. The latin on the avatar merely means to remember those who affect us during covid -as in the great lock outs from care homes and the damage that did to our loved ones.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
This week has been my first week back at work after two weeks off. I have to say I did not want to return, but needs must. I do have a Lotto ticket for tonight though the odds of winning if you work it out more precisely are 0.000000n which is practically zero. We must though maintain our dwindling hope for sure!

So I am back to visiting mum less frequently. Today she was in her room and sat in her recliner and quite perky when I first walked in. I could just make out what she said 'Oh your a big fella' -I am 6ft 4ins. She was quite chatty with no meaningful words for about five minutes and then her gaze kicked in and I could tell she clearly had not slept again but had wandered all night which has been a common theme now for the last 4 years. She did make me chuckle when she opened the paper bag and found there was the usual cake inside which she ate, not surprisingly. Out of her chit chat she said something I could make out which surprised me which was 'your a good man' and the rest I couldn't understand. She was clearly exhausted after her nightly adventures so I left as she dosed again. The usual chaos with her things and clothing and I did ask her carer does not folding up clothes properly require special training -I was being sarcastic perhaps with a slight hint of realism. It wouldn't have happened in my day I uttered to myself -but then these days no one seems to know what basic care is anymore -right I must not get on my soapbox, it's just so erm.....

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
So lovely that she enjoyed the cake and was able to let you know that you’re a good man. Hold on to that.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
So lovely that she enjoyed the cake and was able to let you know that you’re a good man. Hold on to that.
Thanks @GillP -it is hard to know if I am someone who she emotionally retains a connection with at times, so yes hang on to it. I have resolved that it no longer matters in the way I used to think about it.

I had another call today to say she had been found on the floor again, but no apparent or obvious injury. These episodes are increasing in frequency and I just wonder if mum is now beginning to lose her walking ability, time will tell I guess.