It's finally over.

StephanT

Jul 1, 2023
London/Marbella
I've been lurking and contributing in these forums for seven years now, so I thought, given how much they have helped me, it would be the right thing to give back by providing my testimony.

My mother was diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia 7 years ago.

They don't tell you that when people get diagnosed, but it's the most painful, harrowing event one can go through, and I've been through a lot, including young family members dying in accidents. Nothing even begins to compare. Entire family units collapse on themselves. Divorces are rife. Carers enter depression.

I know so many of you wonder, "How can it POSSIBLY go on for even one more minute?". I know you've witnessed what happens to the human body when the frontotemporal cortex disappears completely. There are no words. We feel helpless in the face of overwhelming pain, and then we go home just to feel guilty because, after all, "we're not the ones suffering'. It's the most unfair, relentless, mind-numbing, atrocious thing that I can imagine happening to anyone.

And the "advice" we get from others. "Why do you put yourself through that? Why did you take this responsibility on board?". Because it's my mother, evidently. Don't fall for the gaslighting.

For seven years, due to a legal loophole in the French system, I didn't get guardianship despite having done all the paperwork. So i found myself having to cover every bill, every medical expense, and as her only surviving family member, put my entire life on hold to support her through this harrowing disease. Not only I had to watch my mother disintegrate in front of my eyes, but my career and finances are distant memories at this point.

As a nurse friend of mine told me "The most unfair part of this disease is that as long as the heart beats, life continues, regardless of the condition the person is in".

Three months ago I was told she had taken a turn for the worse. I was so sad to see that even though the care home was modern, clean and well-staffed, nothing, NOTHING could take away the pain. Nothing. I felt horribly guilty to even have her placed there; I felt powerless. She kept being transferred from care home to the hospital and back due to respiratory problems. She coudln't eat. She was 100% paralized, her greatest fear as my grandpa was quadiplegic and she watched him suffer and die in a time when care wasn't as widespread as it is today. She coudln't speak, draw, or do anything for that matter. Since then I am grateful everytime I lift a fork - this illness is a thief, and it robs your loved one of EVERYTHING, piece by piece. And you can only watch.

This morning, she was due to receive a visit from a friend I have on site who takes over for me when I can't be at the care home. The staff prevented her from entering the room, and I received the call - a doctor was on his way to issue a death certificate. I'm grateful to God that it appears she did not suffer, and her heart stopped beating. I'm not a doctor and not pretending to be one, but I'm grateful the alternatives I feared so much didn't happen.

To all those who are going through this living hell, you are not alone. I have two pieces of advice people rarely talk about:

Firstly, Please please, please if you're reading this and the person you love is still in the early stages, organize for a respectful, responsible handling of the finances well ahead of time so you don't end up like me. Especially if international matters are involved, i know for a fact that 'foreign care homes' are popular these days. You don't have to feel guilty - you're doing more than most people already. As a psychologist once told me, "at one point you will face a choice: one body, or two". Do not underestimate the impact this illness can have on you or your loved ones.

Second, I know it's extraordinarily difficult, but organize for medical care well well in advance. Not all countries offer palliative care. Read this again. I know people who suffer from this illness can be combative, but in my pig-headed battle to give my mother the 'best possible', I forgot to think about the inevitable end. Things could have gone even more sideways for my mother. It's critical, and i mean absolutely critical that you take control of the finances, or else you'll be stuck in this absurd loop where authorities will claim you need 'paper xyz' to get guardianship, but you can't get it because your loved one cannot, clearly , have any self-agency.

To my Mum: I love you. I hope i did the best I could for you. I hope you didn't suffer. You can rest now. I love you.

mogg

Jun 29, 2023
So sorry for your loss Stephan, you are a loving, caring, selfless son, mum would be so proud of her boy.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I've been lurking and contributing in these forums for seven years now, so I thought, given how much they have helped me, it would be the right thing to give back by providing my testimony.

My mother was diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia and frontotemporal dementia 7 years ago.

They don't tell you that when people get diagnosed, but it's the most painful, harrowing event one can go through, and I've been through a lot, including young family members dying in accidents. Nothing even begins to compare. Entire family units collapse on themselves. Divorces are rife. Carers enter depression.

I know so many of you wonder, "How can it POSSIBLY go on for even one more minute?". I know you've witnessed what happens to the human body when the frontotemporal cortex disappears completely. There are no words. We feel helpless in the face of overwhelming pain, and then we go home just to feel guilty because, after all, "we're not the ones suffering'. It's the most unfair, relentless, mind-numbing, atrocious thing that I can imagine happening to anyone.

And the "advice" we get from others. "Why do you put yourself through that? Why did you take this responsibility on board?". Because it's my mother, evidently. Don't fall for the gaslighting.

For seven years, due to a legal loophole in the French system, I didn't get guardianship despite having done all the paperwork. So i found myself having to cover every bill, every medical expense, and as her only surviving family member, put my entire life on hold to support her through this harrowing disease. Not only I had to watch my mother disintegrate in front of my eyes, but my career and finances are distant memories at this point.

As a nurse friend of mine told me "The most unfair part of this disease is that as long as the heart beats, life continues, regardless of the condition the person is in".

Three months ago I was told she had taken a turn for the worse. I was so sad to see that even though the care home was modern, clean and well-staffed, nothing, NOTHING could take away the pain. Nothing. I felt horribly guilty to even have her placed there; I felt powerless. She kept being transferred from care home to the hospital and back due to respiratory problems. She coudln't eat. She was 100% paralized, her greatest fear as my grandpa was quadiplegic and she watched him suffer and die in a time when care wasn't as widespread as it is today. She coudln't speak, draw, or do anything for that matter. Since then I am grateful everytime I lift a fork - this illness is a thief, and it robs your loved one of EVERYTHING, piece by piece. And you can only watch.

This morning, she was due to receive a visit from a friend I have on site who takes over for me when I can't be at the care home. The staff prevented her from entering the room, and I received the call - a doctor was on his way to issue a death certificate. I'm grateful to God that it appears she did not suffer, and her heart stopped beating. I'm not a doctor and not pretending to be one, but I'm grateful the alternatives I feared so much didn't happen.

To all those who are going through this living hell, you are not alone. I have two pieces of advice people rarely talk about:

Firstly, Please please, please if you're reading this and the person you love is still in the early stages, organize for a respectful, responsible handling of the finances well ahead of time so you don't end up like me. Especially if international matters are involved, i know for a fact that 'foreign care homes' are popular these days. You don't have to feel guilty - you're doing more than most people already. As a psychologist once told me, "at one point you will face a choice: one body, or two". Do not underestimate the impact this illness can have on you or your loved ones.

Second, I know it's extraordinarily difficult, but organize for medical care well well in advance. Not all countries offer palliative care. Read this again. I know people who suffer from this illness can be combative, but in my pig-headed battle to give my mother the 'best possible', I forgot to think about the inevitable end. Things could have gone even more sideways for my mother. It's critical, and i mean absolutely critical that you take control of the finances, or else you'll be stuck in this absurd loop where authorities will claim you need 'paper xyz' to get guardianship, but you can't get it because your loved one cannot, clearly , have any self-agency.

To my Mum: I love you. I hope i did the best I could for you. I hope you didn't suffer. You can rest now. I love you.
Sending you a big warm hug, Stephan . Yours has been a harrowing long journey, but you have shown resilience and fortitude and much love for your dear mother. No mother could ask of more from their son ( and I speak as one) Now go and live your best life, with your head held high. When the going got tough, you were the tough one who got going. Time to he kind to yourself now x

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@StephanT , please accept my sincere condolences. You have cared for your Mum with love and compassion. I hope that you will find some solace in the knowledge that her suffering is over.

I wish you strength as you come to terms with your loss. It’s time to look after yourself. Take good care

Redhed36

Apr 9, 2023

I’m so glad you have found some help on here, I’m a newbie myself, thank you for sharing and I’m sorry that you and your Mum had to go through all that, it would undoubtedly have been a massive comfort to her having you in her life, all the best to you

Jay M

Jan 22, 2022
I have been reading your posts in the last few months, Stephan, and felt deeply moved and saddened by your poor mother's and your own situation.

I am glad that it is over now, both for you and your beloved mother. I hope you will, in time, be able to put the harrowing memories behind you and move forward with your own life again. You can truly be proud of everything you did for your mother.

Jenna 85

Feb 3, 2022
Newcastle

I'm am so sorry to hear about your mother. You have done everything you could, and your mother would be so proud of you. May your mother rest peacefully. Take care

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sincere condolences Stephan for your loss of your Mum. Thankfully she is at peace now. Take care x

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My sincere condolences too @StephanT - you have been a loving and supportive son throughout all that was thrown at you. Find peace in knowing that you did the best that you could and that your mother was all the better for the love that you showed her.

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
Stephan, as mother of a son, can I just say my heart bursts with your evident compassion and care you have shown your Mum. If, as many believe, there is a 'better place' where the essence of your Mum now exists at peace and free of pain, then be assured she will be so very proud of you! To raise a son into a man such as you seem to be, is every Mothers' dream.
Please now show yourself the same compassion while you experience all the feelings that go along with final loss. Of course we all know that , sadly, we experience grief for many years as family of those with this vile and cruel disease.
Hugs to you x

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
So sorry to hear of your loss @StephanT - wishing you strength and peace over the coming weeks and months. Take care of yourself x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is difficult to read how this ordeal has affected you @StephanT. I can only offer my deepest sympathy and sincere condolences.

Your mother`s suffering is over now. Let her rest in peace.

StephanT

Jul 1, 2023
London/Marbella
Thank you again for the kind words! I wanted to add a little something: I am currently alone in Spain and I was dreading having an empty room tomorrow at the funeral. Well, I have just learned that charitable people from the community are going to attend! She may have no family left, but their presence means the world to me, it's going to help bring closure, by celebrating her life and staying positive despite everything!

I will also continue participating in the forums in the most useful way possible and sharing advice where I can add value. You are not alone in this fight! Together we can make a difference by supporting each other.

((((Hug))))

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I hope all goes well tomorrow @StephanT
How wonderful that the community have pulled together to celebrate the life of your mum.

if it would help do write us a short bio of ur mum - I do love hearing the stories and people behind the tragedies we share here.