it gets worse ...

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
hi there all. thanks for all replies to my thread a few days ago and i had an eventful day yesterday. my neighbour knocked the door at 6 pm to say my dad had fallen across the road. i ran over to find the police ( they stopped while passing ) and 3 other people there. my dad had started to cross the road without looking and a passing car nearly hit him, he turned round to avoid the car and fell straight on his face. an ambulance took him to A&E where he had 3 of his fingers stitched but no serious damage to his face, just lots of blood and bad bruising.

it was an absolute nightmare in A&E, he kept wanting to leave, saying he would clean it at home himself, etc. the doctor put a bandage on his hand and said for him to wear it for a couple of days, but that went straight in the bin. ive spoke to landlord of local pub who really likes my dad but has refused him a drink a couple of times lately, as he understands the dangers involved.

i had a chat with the carers this morning and i'll be straight onto social services on tuesday. im thinking of moving out of the house as i cant go on living like this, maybe then social services might think differently. im not going to abandon him but i cant help him if he cant help me. its a shame because we do get on well and im doing all i can for him.

sorry if ive been ranting

bert:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What a shock for you to see your father in a road accident.

i had a chat with the carers this morning and i'll be straight onto social services on tuesday

Good idea. wishing you & your father all the best over the bank holiday.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Bert

I was sorry to read about your dad's accident. Sounds like a very close shave. You said you talked to the pub landlord and I wondered whether there were ways in which he could help?

Hope you are successful in getting some help.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Bert:
I do not think you are ranting at all. What a dilemna for you.
Surely SS have an emergency number for the weekend - but maybe you want to wait with your Dad until the Bank Holiday is over.

I do hope SS can help you. Good luck Jan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Bert - I see you list your location as Birmingham. If you're in the city council area look here http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Genera...M_ID=124422&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=14512

There's an emergency social services number on that page and I would strongly suggest you call it today. I realize that you are there, but it has been the "general" experience of posters on the board that calling the emergency number may well get you the help you need. The rationale is - if you wait until Tuesday then it's not an emergency so you can wait until the following Tuesday and so on. In this area (social services support) you don't get brownie points for being stoic and reasonable.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Bert

Bert - I see you list your location as Birmingham. If you're in the city council area look here http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Genera...M_ID=124422&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=14512

There's an emergency social services number on that page and I would strongly suggest you call it today. I realize that you are there, but it has been the "general" experience of posters on the board that calling the emergency number may well get you the help you need. The rationale is - if you wait until Tuesday then it's not an emergency so you can wait until the following Tuesday and so on. In this area (social services support) you don't get brownie points for being stoic and reasonable.

I second that suggestion, wake 'em up a bit!

Best wishes

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
thanks v much for all the replies. going to doctors today, my dad is getting his stitches out and has been taking antibiotics. i rang emergency social services and said that a house fire or my dad getting knocked over is inevitable, i repeated it to the lady on the phone about 3 times! they're going to do another assessment. i told her im just about coping and dont know which way to turn. maybe a home for my dad ?? the social worker is still on holiday, but a report has been put on her desk marked URGENT for monday morning. key box finally arrived on wednesday, stair rails are being fitted today.
my dad got a bit abusive at the pub on wednesday because the staff would serve him no more ater he'd had enough. the landlord has said that he will have to ban him if this continues. he really doesnt want to do this so hopefully my dad will get the message.
the carer got my dad to have a wash yesterday so hopefully the key box will make a difference.

thanks again

bert :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch