Is this the end of my Mums sweet disposition?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
The only thing that has gotten me through caring for Mum for past 3 yrs is her good nature, and how she be easily distracted/persuaded and is generally quite agreeable to everything. No real behavioral issues other than taking the wrong end of the stick at times and getting a bit cranky, but you can usually jolly her out of it.

Mum has declined in a lot of ways since before Christmas and now incontinence and 2 UTI's since New Years.
We are waiting on an appt to have a family meeting with our Alz Key Worker, as Dad is coping less and less.
He has MCI. Any wonder in the past two years has has had to go on high blood pressure tablets, has taken up smoking again after giving up for 2 yrs, and last week had to have an ECG for an irregular pulse. But will he admit to stress, pressure, sleepless nights to his doctor ... No! I have told the doctor myself, but he needs to hear it from Dad.

In the past few weeks with Mum her cognitive level with day, time, months, years and increasingly her awareness of her surroundings has declined considerably.
Every morning regardless of a weekend she gets up and gets ready, as she thinks she is going to one of her Alz activity groups or going shopping with me.
Yesterday being Sunday, Mum thought it was grocery day. We go on a Wednesday.
Couldn't persuade her otherwise and she got quite nasty, telling Dad and I we were keeping everything from her, and getting her all mixed up. The evil look on her face was quite disturbing :eek: Managed to calm her down.

A few hours later ( Mum and Dad live behind me) I see the pair of them walking down the driveway.
Mum wanted Dad to go with her grocery shopping as I wasn't taking her :rolleyes:
I ended up taking her in my car, to get.... 2 oranges and a loaf of bread!

Later that night when I went over with Mums medication, she says " Well you didn't take me shopping so I imagine I will have to start going by myself" and the evil look was back again:eek:

I have only been taking Mum grocery shopping every Wednesday for the past 18 years.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh Linbrusco, I wish I could reassure you - but I recognise 'that' look, and it came out of the blue
I haven't seen it on dad's face, though, for quite a while, so like many other manifestations here's hoping this is a passing phase
I found it best not to react - usually I backed off completely, didn't say a word - but it shook me :(
best wishes

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum would give me this dreadful look that made me want to curl up. She would tell me to get lost as I was useless to her. It does hurt however hard you tell yourself it's the disease.