Is this a scam? It sounds like it!

hollysmum

Sep 13, 2010
Good morning everyone! My dad has asked me to check out a product which is called AFASource. He has had a leaflet which says it's some sort of blue/green algae, a "superfood", that miraculously regenerates stem cells, which can in turn lead to "guaranteed good health". Now how genuine does that sound to you? Bless him, I fully understand that he wants to try anything that might have the tiniest chance of restoring my mum to her former glory, but my very basic checks so far suggest that this is just another scam. It says that AFA stands for Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae, and that it is the reason the Modoc indians (apparently a native American tribe) have managed to survive for over 10,000 years without getting so much as a sniffle. This is "despite having contact with other people". Astounding, isn't it?!! It states that, in the case of Alzheimer's "AFASource Caplets boosts the functioning of the synapses that connect the neurons, greatly increasing mental acuity". Should you order some of these caplets, you get a FREE! magnetic pain relief bracelet! I promised I would investigate this, but I think I know what answers I might get from Forum members....

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
A quick googling reveals that not only does this come under the "too good to be true" category, depending on where you buy them from, you may not actually get the product and put your credit card details at risk.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire

hollysmum

Sep 13, 2010
Thank you Jennifer and Celia - I was virtually certain this was a scam, as I'd already seen on a well-known search engine a "Complaints" site for this! It irritates me so much that such companies think it's perfectly OK to play on someone's misfortune/illness/worry just to make money. My dad would, of course, do anything to try and improve my mum's condition, and they know this. I will check out the science link, Celia, as I like to try and research anything connected with AD.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5