Is there any counselling available?


Registered User
Aug 11, 2007
Hi all

I hope that you all well today.

I wondered if anybody knew or had some experience of counselling being available for individuals and their family who are having to deal with a relative in the end stages of alzheimers.

We desparately need somebody to talk our feelings through with , someone who can help us to deal with things, we are finding it difficult to cope and need somebody to explain to us what is likely to happen.

I'm sure you'll all agree that this is a rollercoaster ride. The doctors don't seem to be telling us anything.

Please does anybody know of any contacts? Perhaps if I contact the Alzhemers society they might be able to put us in touch with somebody?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Melissa X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Hello Melissa,

You can certainly phone the Alzheimers Society Helpline,

The number to dial is 0845 300 0336
8.30a.m.--6.30p.m. Monday to Friday

You caould also ask your GP to refer you to a Counsellor.

It is important to be able to have someone with the time and knowledge to discuss your worries and I hope you get the help you need.

Love xx


Registered User
Feb 17, 2006
your doctor should be of help if you ask him for counseling

also I know my local Princes royal carer trust offer counseling .

they may be one in your area , but I do not know where what area you come under .

we are finding it difficult to cope and need somebody to explain to us what is likely to happen.
PS have you ever talk to a dementia nurse or a admiral nurse
Last edited:

Margaret W

Registered User
Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire

Oh Melissa, do contact the Alzheimers Society. I found them on their website 3 months ago when everything got to be very worrying and I felt desperate, full of questions, and totally alone. Here we are in the middle of Derbyshire where we have relatively few facilities for anything useful in life other than fields and hills and decent schools, and there was the Alzheimers Society Rep! She has been an absolute gem to me, she organises drop in sessions in four different towns/villages in the area (a bit of travelling needed but then that is how it is in the countryside - and I a welcome at any of them), and a fixed session every month at the local mental health unit. I couldn't have managed without her. And she also replied to emails, and phoned me, and understood everything I was saying.

She has been a star. Get in touch with them pronto. Yes, your GP might have counsellor, but you need a person with specialist Alzheimers knowledge, my lady was superb, and I'll still feel able to call on her even now mum is in a Care Home. I am still welcome at the monthly meetings, and still welcome to email her.

The first session I went to (actually only been to one, it was so useful I didn't need another for a while), there was another carer in exactly the same position as I was, we both wanted answers to lots of questions we had, and the first thing you learn is that there are no answers, and that it is not your fault. But she could give us contacts for specific worries, and the reassurance that someone was there on the end of a phone or an email was tremendous.

I can't recommend them enough.

Hope you are lucky to have a contact in your area.




Registered User
Mar 27, 2004

Dear Melissa

I agree with the others The Alzheimer's Society is the place to start, if they don't have counsellors of their own in your area, they certainly will know where to get in touch with one.

Ring your local branch today.

Cheers Frank
Last edited: