Is there a link between Dementia and late diagnosis of other illnesses or diseases?

Gemma Frame

Mar 6, 2013
I am currently conducting a project in my final year of my nursing studies and am curious, is there a known link between Dementia and late diagnosis of other illnesses or diseases?
My theory is that as dementia develops and people experience grater communication difficulties, they will find it harder to report or even recognize symptoms of other illness or diseases, which may therefore go without diagnosis.
Dose anyone know of any research that supports my theory? as I am having little luck in my search.
Any information anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.
Gem

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm not sure about the research available (have you checked medscape.com - you need to register but it's free) but one thing I can tell you that happens - when there is a dementia diagnosis the assumption by medical professionals often is that everything is down to the dementia when so often it isn't. Difficulty walking? Dementia (but it could be a cracked pelvis as it was with my mother). Difficulty eating? Dementia (but it could be sign of stomach cancer). You get the picture.

Gemma Frame

Mar 6, 2013
HI Thank you for your reply, I have used medscape.com in the past with variable outcomes so I shall give it another try. You have also given me a thought of another way to word my question which may help with my search, Thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You could also search the forum for "inoperable cancer", "inoperable tumour" or "late stage cancer". It's not research exactly, but it might give you an idea of just how many people have dementia but actually die of something that has been masked by the dementia.

Pacucho

Other theory to consider

Dear Gem

Thank you for your interesting post and theory.

I would like to offer an alternative theory which from my experience in caring for my late mother and other people I know is also relevant, which specifically relates to vascular dementia.

My theory is that if someone is diagnosed with a medical condition that has a detrimental impact (either directly or indirectly) on the vascular blood vessel system in my experience doctors fail to pick up early signs of vascular dementia. Whether the reasons for this are training, lack of resources or any other reason I do not know, but I suspect this happens in a large majority of cases. Some related medical conditions include renal problems, stroke and cardiac problems.
Regards,

Paco

Pinkie2013

Oct 15, 2012
Gemma, I have often wondered myself if a person's lifestyle choices have an impact on their mental health or general health, later in life.

We sometimes forget how complex the human body is. Medical professional tend to separate the body and mind, and I believe they are intrinsically linked.

Before diagonisis what lifestyle choices did they make? Did they participate in recreational drugs and did they drink excessively? Did they excercise and have a well balanced diet? What prescribed medication did they take and for how long?

Did they face many challenges and stresses before their illness? And how did they deal with those issues? Did they have depression or any other undelying MH issues?

Did they have good relationships and support networks? Did they experience life changing challenges like divorce or breavement?

Employment of lack of it could also be a factor. Did they work long hours? Was their job very stressful? Were they unemployed or made redundant? Did this have an impact on their self esteem and confidence?

There are many other areas to consider, but I have given you a few to look at.

I'm no expert, but I do think we need to think out of the box when it comes to dementia or any other illness for that matter.

Hope this helps

Pinkie:)

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
I am not sure if this is what you mean but I posted a link on here somewhere about research recognising a link between thyroid problems and alzheimers. The results are quite interesting, it also supports the belief about people who have an undetected underactive thyroid for a long period of time developing dementia which initially could have been reversible with thyroxin.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
On behalf of my mother I am absolutely disgusted by Pinkie's post, Mum lived a good and decent happy life, with a healthy diet and lots of exercise. When will people stop blaming those with dementia for getting it.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
My Mam had her thyroid gland removed 20 years ago, it was OVER active.
She had radiation tablets to destroy it.

She has vascular dementia and alzheimer's.

Life is a terminal illness.

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
Gemma, I have often wondered myself if a person's lifestyle choices have an impact on their mental health or general health, later in life.

I don't know about lifestyle choices but I have ofen wondered if my mum's changing environment helped start her alzheimers. Due to a strong family history it was almost inevitable that she would develop it at some point but it didn't begin until we (kids) had all left home and her part time job, which she loved, unexpectedly came to an end. I do wonder if her slowing pace of life and the fact that she was no longer needed or continually called upon, as such, helped contribute to her illness.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I don't know about lifestyle choices but I have ofen wondered if my mum's changing environment helped start her alzheimers. Due to a strong family history it was almost inevitable that she would develop it at some point but it didn't begin until we (kids) had all left home and her part time job, which she loved, unexpectedly came to an end. I do wonder if her slowing pace of life and the fact that she was no longer needed or continually called upon, as such, helped contribute to her illness.

....Nonsense.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Perhaps everyone would be better advised to expire the second they were born and not take the chance of life, after all there is no escape from death so what is the point?

p.s the link doesn't work

Last edited:

minniemouse01

Nov 27, 2012
scotland
Wow, what a sweeping post Pinkie123. My Dad has Vascular Dementia. He never drank, smoked or ate unhealthily in his younger days. He worked hard from the age of 14 until he retired. No mental health issues when younger or now (apart from VDem). I do feel that we (society) always need to find something to blame for health problems. What we need to be careful about is suggesting in any way that sufferers have somehow been to blame for their Dementia.

Also, my Dad was a champion sprinter in his youth, and kept fit physically throughout his life.

Dementia knocks at anyone's door, without rhyme or reason.

kind regards

Mx:)

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
Perhaps everyone would be better advised to expire the second they were born and not take the chance of life, after all there is no escape from death so what is the point?

p.s the link doesn't work

Sorry, will try again tomorrow when I am on a pc, probably haven't copied and pasted it properly on my phone :confused:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I wouldn't worry Jane, my Mam has been on Thyroxine for 20 years.

You haven't discovered a cure for Dementia or Death.

Everyone has to die of something. :)

Bridget60

Mar 23, 2013
Interesting topic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people with dementia also have other delayed or undiagnosed illness(es). Memory and communication difficulties must contribute to this. In this respect, those with dementia are very reliant on their carers and medical team spotting changes and following them up. This would be an excellent subject for research. I could not believe that my mums GP didn't follow her up more regularly. She is now in a care home and the nurses and gps there have done more for her general health in a few weeks than her old GP did in decades!

Another thought - my mum didn't develop dementia until quite late in life. She was maybe about 80 before there were noticeable issues. She had a very healthy lifestyle. It could be argued that it is only because she has has kept her physical health that she developed dementia. What I mean is that, her healthy lifestyle may have contributed to her long life, but If she had succumbed to a physical illness, even at a relatively decent old age of 80, she would never have had dementia. As with other illnesses there will be people who have unhealthy lifestyles who live to a grand old age and others who live very healthy lifestyles who develop life threatening illness at an early age. There are so many factors involved and it is only through thorough research that we can examine the risks associated with lifestyle, environment or other factors. Even then, all we will know is the risk. It still won't stop some people who do everything "right" from becoming ill. No one brings dementia on themselves. I wish no one would ever get this dreadful condition. Yes, let try to find out how to minimise the risks and find a cure but in reality there may still be people who develop dementia and the important thing then is to have the right support in place for that individual and their family/ carers/ friends.

Best wishes to all those having to deal with this condition and thanks to this site for providing such valuable information , advice and support.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Very interesting Jane.
I apologise for my flippancy last night.

I rang my cousin this morning, her Mum, my Mam's younger sister died a few weeks ago, she was 81 and had Alzheimer's for a number of years.
Her Mum also had her thyroid gland destroyed in the same way as mine (with radioactive tablets) and was on Thyroxine too.

Once again sorry for my crassness, food for thought in what you've said.