Is it too late to get LPA?

sallycop

May 12, 2013
Will I still be able to arrange LPA for my father who has Alzheimer's his mental state is now very confused. He still lives at home with my mother as his carer. I am there only daughter. I did speak to the doctor a few months ago and he said he was willing to sign the relevant forms but with pressures of work etc I have not got round to sorting it and I am feeling now it maybe too late as Dads condition has worsened recently and he is making no sense!
I also need to sort out benefits is it attendance allowance I need to claim?
I feel so confused about it all and don't really know where to start, any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Sallycop
Welcome to TP
As far as the rules go, To donate a LPA the person must have capacity at the time of signing/assessment to understand the powers they are handing over to their attorney, this is nothing to do with being able to remember, in fact if the person forgets a minute later that is fine and IMO though a person is confused it doesnt mean they cant understand providing it is explained in a way that helps them understand, but as I said that is only my opinion

If the doctor is still willing to sign then go for it asap,now or yesterday if it were possible :). IMO LPA is a much easier option than having to go for Deputyship when the person doesnt have capacity, less expensive too

In the meantime someone can be made an apointee for state pension, I beleive but am not sure this covers state benefits as well, others here will know for sure
for a person to be made an appointee, contact the DWP, dept of work and pensions.

I think its a good idea to get someone from say Age concern, the Alzheimer's society ect, to help fill forms in for Attendance Allowance, they know the words to use on such forms and so are more likely to be successful at the first attempt
they will also know what other benefits you are entitled to, one of them may be carers allowance

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
We have got POA because MIL understood at the time of signing although 5 minutes later she would have forgotten. My SIL did it and did not use any other out side source to save money

Attendance Allowance we did that too and put on the form all the information on MIL WORST day and we get £77 per week. We got MIL to sign by saying she will be getting more money-it worked a treat!

Hope you are successful with your forms

1954 x

Steevjo

Dec 2, 2012
To get an LPA somebody has to act as a 'certificate provider', their role is to sign that your father understands what is going on and is not being coerced. Anyone independent that has known your father for at least two years can do this, it doesn't have to be the GP.

Attendance allowance is this benefit if he's over 65. Various charities will help with the best words to use for max chance of success, we were helped by ageuk.