Is it serious or am I over thinking?

BoopDontForget

Oct 28, 2018
I have been having memory issues since 18, at 18 was when it started up but I only remember bits and pieces of how it started. I do however remember info from the time, that at the time I was having bad migraines and was on beta blockers for them, I had told my family I felt bad on the beta blockers and was forgetting things, they told me not to be silly and it's nothing. So I never bothered to see a doctor over it but eventually dropped the beta blockers and after awhile the migraines became less and less. At the same time as my memory going I did have a 'traumatic experience'... I don't remember it happening but, it did, all of this did and I'm just aware of the info if that makes sense?

But I'm now 21 and.... I don't even know where to begin, or where anything begins.
But I think I have a serious issue with my memory. I haven't been in education or working since 19 because I just couldn't function. I don't remember really basic things like what I ate yesterday, I remember today but once tomorrow comes today will be gone too. I ask the same questions over and over. Forget to put food on or forget I'm making food and burn it. I don't go out, because I just don't rember where anything is, I get lost despite living here for maybe three years? I don't remember how to spell anymore, despite loving writing, I struggle unless I use my spellchecker like I am doing now. I don't remember any of my skills anymore really, or anything I like or enjoy.

I feel like I live in a constant fog, I feel really lost and confused. But I don't know if this is normal or not, I'm over thinking it, or not.
I have gone to the doctors,my partner took me after I got lost and confused in our local shop, I don't remember it happening but it did do? The information is kinda there but I just, I can't remember it happening.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @BoopDontForget
a warm welcome to TP
your situation, from how you describe it, does sound unusual
I am glad you have spoken with your doctor - maybe go back there and show them your post as it makes clear how confused and concerned you are and how your daily living is being affected
might your partner write down what was said at the appointment so you have something to refer to
sorry not to be much help

BoopDontForget

Oct 28, 2018
hello @BoopDontForget
a warm welcome to TP
your situation, from how you describe it, does sound unusual
I am glad you have spoken with your doctor - maybe go back there and show them your post as it makes clear how confused and concerned you are and how your daily living is being affected
might your partner write down what was said at the appointment so you have something to refer to
sorry not to be much help

Hi, thanks for the reply and advice.
I think I told my doctor most of this, may have missed a few things out. I'd have to check with my partner since they did go with me and we wrote a list of symptoms that might be related along with the memory loss.
They did a blood test, I know since my arm still hurts from it. I'm waiting results now and I think they are taking it from there. They did write stuff down for me in a very basic form and it was basically, blood test, call back in a week, chase up an action plan. I have it stuck on the fridge at the moment with my other post it notes...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It sounds like your doctor is taking you seriously, which is good. The first thing is always look to see if the problems are caused by something simple like vit B12 deficiency or an underactive thyroid, so they do blood tests to check for that.

There are lots of reasons for poor memory, but I am struck by your reference to a "traumatic experience" and if the blood tests are OK I think it likely that the doctors will want to explore this to see if it is related to your memory problems. They may also want to do an MRI scan to look for any physical problems.

BoopDontForget

Oct 28, 2018
I heard back from the doctors today, they didn't check my thyroid but did check other things and found it have a vitamin d deficiency.
Could that case this?
I'm a bit confused, I take multi vitamins and eat loads of fish and meat. I've also been on medication for vitamin d in the past but it didn't help or change anything, and i had another test a few months back which didn't show it.

BoopDontForget

Oct 28, 2018
So I've been on tablets for my vitamin d deficiency (I have one tablet left as of today, after which I'll have completed the course) and I've had no improvements, in fact I feel like I'm getting worse but I can remember or explain how. I have to have another blood test next week. After that I'm not to sure what they are going to do.
I feel horrible, I hate this.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
stick with it @BoopDontForget
sounds as though the doctors are on your side and really trying to help - tell them how you feel and ask anything you want to know (if you are worried you'll forget your questions send them in a text to yourself, or some such tech thing, so you can show the doctors at your appointment)

BoopDontForget

Oct 28, 2018
Hi everyone, thank you for the support and advice, I really appreciate it.
I had another blood test some time last week, it came back normal, my vitim levels are fine and I'm taking vitamins daily or at least when I remember to take them.

I've now lost most of my skills, I don't remember how to draw, I'm struggling with writing and spelling, I've lost a lot of my computer skills, I studied computers in high school and college, previously I could easily fix them amongst other things, art has also been a hobby of mine since I was in high school. It feels like a massive blow losing all the skills I've been working on since I was 12. I cried when I realised I can't draw the most basic things anymore. I think drawing was my last skill to go and the last one I somewhat remembered.

I'm now waiting to see the doctors again for an assessment after Christmas. I'm wondering what they do in these assessments? What should I expect? What kind of things they will be looking for and at?
I'm scared I have dementia or something, a brain tumour, cancer etc.
Will the assessment be able to say how severe the issue is? Would it be able to tell me if it's dementia or not?
In the meantime what should I look out for? Any symptoms which are massive red flags that I need to be aware of?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5