Intravenous alzheimers medication

bsp

Jul 22, 2013
My father has alzheimers and recently had a stroke & has subsequently developed pneumonia

He has been in hospital for 5 weeks & has been nil by mouth since being diagnosed with pneumonia on Thursday

As a result he has been unable to take his medication for 5 days and is now very confused and distressed

I have asked the hospital about intravenous medication but have been told there is no such treatment

I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a suitable medication for alzheimers that can be administered intravenously & suspect this may be more about it not being available due to cost

When he was first admitted he was allowed thickened drinks but no solids including tablets We were told his medication could not be dissolved in his drinks as it was the slow release type that could not be crushed and put into drinks

It was only after further questioning following my father removing his cafeta cannula & various drips & tubes early one morning due to his confusion that a nurse informed us that there was a medication that could be taken as a syrup drink but the hospital trust did not keep it due to expense & would have to be ordered as a special for him

Is anyone aware of an intravenous medication to treat alzheimers

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I don't know about intravenous meds but my husband has just recently changed to a liquid form of Memantine (Ebixa). This is pumped into a small amount if water then swallowed.

bsp

Jul 22, 2013
I don't know about intravenous meds but my husband has just recently changed to a liquid form of Memantine (Ebixa). This is pumped into a small amount if water then swallowed.

yes that is what we got him on when he was allowed liquids but only after a major episode

unfortunately he can not have that whilst he is nil by mouth