Informing about hospital stay

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Dad receives a direct payment, He is in hospital at the moment. He was admitted on Wednesday of last week.
Do I need to inform the finance team immediately?

Attendance Allowance have to be informed after 28days, do I have that correct?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I had this issue when mum was in hospital last summer for 4 weeks. Because it was exactly 4 weeks, I didn't advise DWP. SS got involved straight away as mum had a stroke which took her mobility away, so the care package needed readdressing anyway. I think they said that the existing care package would stay in place and that any surplus could be addressed later. As it turned out, they gave us a temporary increase after mum was discharged and the 'surplus' got mixed up in all of this and other extra care I had at the time, so in effect no change.

As always, I suspect the rules vary from LA to LA. I think if you inform SS, then that's all you would need to do as the finance people are, I assume, part of the same team.

I believe the 28 day rule applies to all.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
The leaflet I got said AA could be affected after an inpatient stay of 28 days or more. However it also said I should inform them of any hospital stay, so when my mother was in hospital for 13 days I wrote to let them know.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Attendance Allowance have to be informed after 28days, do I have that correct?

Best to inform them of all admissions and discharges

It need not be a continuous period of 28 days. periods of less than 28 days are linked unless the person has been out of hospital for 28 days.

Days of admission and discharge don't count.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch