Information on Memantine

Shepherd123

Nov 19, 2013
Can any one advise what differences if any I will see when my father in law moves from Aricept to Memantine. He will be switching over next week as the Aricept is no longer working and his memory is failing at an alarming rate.

He suffers with anxiety, which leads to some moments where inappropriate behaviour is an issue. He also suffers from anger this is usually from frustration when he cannot explain himself.

Over the last two weeks he has forgot how to use his bank card, bus pass and the usual misplacing of items that result in a theft accusation. This morning he arrived at mine at 4.30am in the pouring rain to ask me how to use the bank card. I hoping this isn’t going to become an occurrence as my stress levels are already near overload.

I am also after advice on who decided about residential care, his own GP thinks he should be in a home but social services seem happy to provide carers to the house. Although they are calling 3 time’s a day they do not have to sort out any of the daily dramas that are caused by the growing confusion.

I have occupation health calling out but not sure what they do in a home environment, and an MRI scan scheduled to rule out a mini stroke that may have caused the sudden dramatic loss of memory.
:)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My OH was prescribed Memantine when he developed delusions. He is now free of these and is much easier and pleasant to live with! He us still on Aricept.
No problem with bank cards, he hasn't been able to use them for years!
I assume you already have POA set up.
Can't help with homes, but others will be up to speed on the topic!

Shepherd123

Nov 19, 2013
Thanks, I think a lot of the issues come from the fact that he lives on his own and we have tried to keep him independent for as long as possible. This has back fired a bit now as he knows he is missing something out of his wallet and can not seem to understand the cash we are leaving.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
We saw no difference at all in mum when she started memantine, but who knows, it may have slowed things down. she kept up with her aricept type medication, I don't think it is a good idea to stop that as it is a completely different thing.

PatsyAnne

May 15, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hi. My husband has been on the liquid form of memantine for over a year and it was prescribed to stop his agitation. I was told by the consultant that memantine would not slow down the progression of the dementia but would stop the agitation which it has done. A few weeks ago he was poorly and didn't have the medication and after a few days the agitation was starting to return. Unfortunately his lo g term and short term memory is very limited but he's calm.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
when we got mum onto Ebixa (memantine) we were told it would help with her agitation etc, it didnt,
We however did notice within a week, that the almost daily backward slide had halted.
Mum didnt actually improve but for over two yrs she got no worse.

Some Doctors prescribe Aricept and Ebixa together, so it may be a good idea to ask about this dual therapy.

Their are no guarantees with any of these medications, they help some people but not others, some suffer side effects, others like my mum dont.

Assuming your father will not be self funding, SS (social services) may well try to keep your Father at home as long as possible in some areas it is a matter of cost.
To me it does sound as though the Dr is right, the DR may be willing to help you with SS in this matter.

You need to make it very clear to SS what is best not only for your Father but most importantly you.

You are also fully entitled to ask SS about respite care.

I would also start to look around the area to see what is available.

Their is a condition well known oh here, its called, Carer breakdown, it seems to me you may be close to this.

Shepherd123

Nov 19, 2013
It will just be the Memantine from next week as the Aricept is not giving any benefit. I am thinking about rest-bite when I go away next year but i know he will not go voluntary so this is something else I intend to discuss with SS on the next review.

:D

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think Memantine plus Sodium Valproate calmed my wife considerably, it was a move from Aricept plus Sodium Valproate, all anti-psychotics were a definite 'no' because of her Lewy Body Dementia.