Infections and whispering

mumofthree

Apr 11, 2011
Lancashire
My Dad is being treated for his second UTI in a month. This one seems to have affected him more than the first and has been coupled with constipation. Last weekend Dad was unable to feed himself and had to be reminded to swallow. He hasn't been out of his room for over a week. Today is day 7 of antibiotics and any improvement is very slow - last time, he was back to his normal within 3-4 days. he's slumping in his chair and peering at me over his glasses. He is feeding himself a little but still needs help. Is it common for each infection to affect someone more, and to be harder to come back from?

The other big change is that he keeps whispering. I've asked him if his throat is sore and he says not, but he can only get a couple of words out in a normal-ish voice and then slips into a whisper, and it's very difficult to piece together what he's trying to say. Anyone with any experience of this?

All this has been going on while my brother has been on holiday - if things don't change over the weekend, it's going to be quite a shock for him to come back to. I'm exhausted with it - 3 young boys at home for the summer holidays and going to see Dad every other day because he's been so poorly.

You may remember I asked about Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment last week - I've now done this paperwork, and they tell me it's new and Dad's is the first they've done, so if anyone else comes across it and wants to know more, let me know.

They've also asked us to consider moving Dad to a room downstairs as they're concerned he's too isolated upstairs :-(

Sorry for the ramble.....
mumofthree

Pacucho

I cared for my mum at home, who suffered from severe vascular dementia, and she would sometimes whisper rather than talk normally. I understand this sometimes happens with dementia sufferers and is nothing to worry about. I just had to do the best I could do in trying to understand my mum.

What helped me was the following document: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?30801-Compassionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired&highlight=communication%20memory%20impaired.
Regards

paco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jude 8