Individual hospital blankets

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I was interested by a news item on a local tv programme that our local hospital Maidstone are trialling the use of colourful top blankets for beds used by patients with dementia. The blankets are knitted and to a size not to hang over the bed so not adding to falls risk and are aimed to help a patient with dementia orienteer back to their bed. My first thought was great idea to try for some at a certain stage...wouldn't have helped dad who was well beyond that stage when in hospital..and germ cross contamination between swop of patients but they are given to the patient to take home. Interesting initiative worth trying.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I was interested by a news item on a local tv programme that our local hospital Maidstone are trialling the use of colourful top blankets for beds used by patients with dementia. The blankets are knitted and to a size not to hang over the bed so not adding to falls risk and are aimed to help a patient with dementia orienteer back to their bed. My first thought was great idea to try for some at a certain stage...wouldn't have helped dad who was well beyond that stage when in hospital..and germ cross contamination between swop of patients but they are given to the patient to take home. Interesting initiative worth trying.

My dad always has a blanket on each of his beds at home and blankets on the sofa's too. I think he just likes blankets.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My dad always has a blanket on each of his beds at home and blankets on the sofa's too. I think he just likes blankets.
Yes dad always did...and in his NH too...perhaps a generational comfort thing...I like blankets too. I thought this was an interesting trial...an army of WI ladies make them. I also thought in a ward where maybe 2 out of 8 patients have dementia and therefore have a blanket it would also be very useful in that everyone on seeing the blanket would immediately know the patient has dementia and communication/care may be the better for it.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
When my OH was in respite a few weeks ago I noted how bland his bed looked and made a mental note to take a bright fleece in if he ever goes into care again.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My daughter was desperate one year to make her much loved father in law a special gift, a patchwork rug. She found a pile of family photos and had them printed on to fabric. We sewed them on to light colored squares and joined them to make the rug. He was very elderly, had a bad stroke and ended up in nursing home.

He absolutely loved it. There was never any doubt about the owner of the rug and even later when he developed dementia, he never went anywhere without it.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My daughter was desperate one year to make her much loved father in law a special gift, a patchwork rug. She found a pile of family photos and had them printed on to fabric. We sewed them on to light colored squares and joined them to make the rug. He was very elderly, had a bad stroke and ended up in nursing home.

He absolutely loved it. There was never any doubt about the owner of the rug and even later when he developed dementia, he never went anywhere without it.

Ahhh I think that is lovely.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Part of the reasoning behind these blankets is that people with dementia who are mobile will be better able to identify their own beds if there is a colourful blanket on it. I am not sure if that is the case but the beds certainly look more colourful.

At the other end of the circle of life, I crochet tiny octopuses for prem babies as if they hold on to the tentacles, it stops them tugging at their tubes. They are made to very specific rules and all are checked by the charity before being sent out to hospitals but I am addicted to making them!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Part of the reasoning behind these blankets is that people with dementia who are mobile will be better able to identify their own beds if there is a colourful blanket on it. I am not sure if that is the case but the beds certainly look more colourful.

At the other end of the circle of life, I crochet tiny octopuses for prem babies as if they hold on to the tentacles, it stops them tugging at their tubes. They are made to very specific rules and all are checked by the charity before being sent out to hospitals but I am addicted to making them!
That is not only such a practical thing to do but they sound so cute. Do you have a picture?