independant living and aids to help this

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I mentioned in a previous post that I had been offered the money which the LA are currently paying for Ken's care in the CH to have him at home and pay for services out of this to help me.

A couple of days ago I had my meeting with S.S. and I quizzed the representative for about an hour. Essentially he told me that not all LA's are currently doing this but within the next year or two as Independant Living Legislation comes in, all LA's will have to change over to this.

Anyone who has an agreed care plan and is currently using any of the LA services is eligable for this. For example if you are currently using an LA day care centre, you could continue with this service or you could chose to be given the money allocated for this and use it to put your own care package in place. I know that I was offered day care for Ken on Saturdays and Sundays only. I would have much preferred him to have these days during the week but this was not available. Under this Independant Living scheme I could have opted to take the money and pay someone to perhaps take him out for a few hours instead.

Also AT THE MOMENT - any disability living allowance, carer's allowance or attendance allowance will not be touched. If you are in receipt of these then you will continue to get these in full without any deductions. This Independant Living Allowance is to be paid alongside the existing Government allowances and instead of having these services provided by the LA.

I was very sad but had to tell the SS man that I felt Ken's care was better left as it was. The money that the LA pay to the care home would not be sufficient for me to purchase the extent of care I would need to keep Ken at home. Also the bungalow I live in is totally unsuitable for Ken's current needs and I do not have the finances to either extend or move to a larger home.

This Independant Living Allowance has been offered to Ken and myself too late I'm afraid. If I had been offered this when Ken was still home with me and the disease hadn't progressed as far as it now has, I'm sure it would have helped us to stay together for longer.

The amount of money offered will very much depend on assessments which it seems will still be made by the same people as before ie: hospital consultant, social workers, c.p.n's, occupational therapists etc., etc., and so it is vital to get proper assessments and also continuous assessments as the disease progresses. Many of us here on TP know what a stumbling block this can be!!

He also left me with a leaflet which I've copied below which shows what is currently available in modern technology. For example an aid which can be put onto a favourite chair which sets off an alarm to whatever telephone care line company you wish after there has been no movement for say 2 hours.

Pressure mat - 24 hour monitoring of
inactivity or intruders, dependent on
individualneeds.

Enuresis sensor - Placed between a mattress
and a sheet. this sensor provides immediate
warrning on detection of moisture to allow
effective action to be taken.

Bed/chair occupancy sensor - Provides an
early warning by alerting that the user has left
their bed/chair and not retuned within a
predetermined time period.

Property exit sensor - Provides an early
waming by alerting that the user has left
their home and not returned within
a predetermined time parameter. Ideal for
people with dementia and their carers.

Amie+/Gem+ triggers
- Personal radio
triggers that allow an alarm call
to be raised within a radius of up
to 50 metres from the Lifelineunit.

User/carer pager alert - Provides hearing
impaired users with immediate notification of
alarm call activation.A pager can also be used
to alert a live-in carer of sensors being
triggered in the home.

Sounder beacon - Offers
both visual and loud audible signals
when a sensor or telephone is activated,
ideal for the hard of hearing.

Pull cord - Strategically placed around the
home, the pull cord can be used to raise
a call for help. This can be placed wherever you want as it is radio controlled.

Environmental control solutions
Environmental control solutions enable
people with limited dexterity to easily
perform a wide range of everyday activities
including opening and closing of windows,
curtains and doors, operation of domestic
appliances and the control of lighting within
the home.

Movement detector (PIR) - Detects
movement and raises an alert providing
the 24 hour Careline with the ability to
audibly verify and record the presence of an
intruder or alternatively detect for long
periods of inactivity.

Smoke detector - The radiosmoke detector
raises an instant alarm call if it detects smoke,
ensuring any potential fire situations are
always responded to.

Bogus caller button - Fitted near a door,
this discreet button can be used to call for
assistance when a stranger requests entry
into a home.

Carbon monoxide detector - Warns of
dangerous CO levels within a property
allowing the appropriate action to be taken.

Temperature extremes sensor - Detects
low, high or rapid rate of rise of temperature
within a property and raises appropriate alert.

Flood detector - Provides an early waning
by raising an alert of potential flood situations
in the home.

Natural gasdetector - When the natural gas
detector detects natural gas leaks.an alarm will
be raised.It can also be linked to a complete
gas shut off solution.

Fall detector - Automatically detects a
serious fall and raises an alert. Can also be
used as a personal trigger.

Video door entry - Allows visual
confirmation of visitors and remote door
access into a property giving both security
and assistanceto the people who live there.

Medication reminder/dispenser - Provides
effective solutions to support medication
compliance. Can be used to provide other
reminders if required.

Pillow alert - Vibrates to alert a sleeping
user to a potentially dangerous situation
e.g. smoke alarm.

Epilepsy sensor - Provides warning of
epileptic attack whilst in bed.

I'm very glad that such things are now being offered and hope that carers who are following on behind me will be able to take advantage of this to put together the right care package to keep their loved ones safe and at home.

xxTinaT

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Gracious Tina, you must be exhausted having typed all that out! It's very comprehensive thanks, and welcome news. xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Tina

It sounds good, and I too would have been glad to have that sort of possibility when John was at home. Like you and Ken, it's too late for us now.

It does worry me a bit though. LAs are cutting back on care funding, and are planning to close care homes. So what happens in the future? If someone really needs to go into care, will the beds be there? What about respite? I can't see there being enough beds available to offer this.

I'm being a bit cynical about this. It's all too reminiscent of the sale of council houses, which was also done to save money, and which left people who desperately needed one, unable to get one.

I'm taking part in a dementia planning roadshow on Thursday, to discuss the plans for Scotland. I hope I'll come home reassured, but somehow I doubt it.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I think there will be a rapid and massive move towards private companies being formed to fill the gaps. We all know that where there is money there is business opportunities! What is a great imponderable is how well such private services will run. Will they be compelled to give staff training? How will they be monitored? Who will deal with any possible complaints? etc., etc.,

In theory I like the idea but as you say Sky, dementia will inevitably for some mean some form of residential care/ respite care. If these needs are also supplied by private companies they haven't had a good track record so far have they?

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been fitted with many of these aids , but want to draw your attention to two of them.

Pressure mat - 24 hour monitoring of
inactivity or intruders, dependent on
individual needs.

This was fitted under the mattress and was a disaster as every time Dhiren turned in bed, it set the alarm off.
If it has been left on the floor, a] he would probably have fallen by the time it went off or
b] he would have been in danger of tripping up or slipping on it, especially if it was covered by a rug, which was the recommendation.

Fall detector - Automatically detects a
serious fall and raises an alert. Can also be
used as a personal trigger.

The detector was in a pocket attached to a belt. Use had to be discontinued as Dhiren found it and played with it, setting off the alarm.

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Mum has some of these items. the system is called "Telecare" in her part of London.
We had some teething troubles with the mattress pressure mat. It was put in to monitor Mum during the night as she lives alone. It's set to alert if she isn't in bed by a set time & also if she doesn't return to bed if she gets up to go to the loo. The control centre phones her to check she is Ok and remind her she should be in bed. On the first night the alarm went because it registered she hadn't returned to bed. When she didn't answer the phone we were alerted. Consequently at 4.30am we were in the car doing the 35 miles to her house. Needless to say when we let ourselves in we found her SOUND ASLEEP IN BED:rolleyes:

The engineer decided she was too light for the sensor to register her return to bed! The under mattress was changed for a more sensitive one & now seems to be working OK. We've had no more emergency calls:D

For anyone living on their own it's a great help & is a reassurance for distance carers like us.
If anyone wants more info please send a personal message.

Mo
x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think there will be a rapid and massive move towards private companies being formed to fill the gaps. We all know that where there is money there is business opportunities!

Hi Tina.

As I see it, LAs are going to do everything they can to stop people going into care homes, at least until the very end, because they are just too expensive.

So not only are LA-run homes going to close, private ones are going to have empty rooms because they depend to a large extent on LA-funded places. That won't encourage new ones to open up!

And it will mean that only people who can fund themselves will be able to choose when care becomes necessary, and only they will get respite beds -- if there are any!

I may be completely wrong, I hope so, but all this talk of council cut-backs fills me with fear.:(

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hazel,I agree with you.We are heading for very worrying times.I have been involved with the LA in a variety of discussions over the last 20 years.Things have changed very much for the worse.Local councils have wasted millions of pounds over the years,I know of many past employees of the council who have received hundreds of thousands of pounds in pay offs and pensions,many under the age of 55 .Councils were never run as a business ought to be and our older people are now paying the price.Councils are now cutting services dramatically,any work they are giving out is going to the cheapest provider.
Someone at the highest level should have seen this coming years ago and put systems into place to pay for the care of the elderly.Now is too late and we are in a huge mess.

daisydays

Jan 4, 2010
I have found that there is a very fine line between independent living (in our case dad sharing a home with us) and full time care for my dad with dementia that line was crossed very quickly.
I care for dad 24/7 because I want to care for him. At the moment I do feel it is my choice to look after him for another day, week, month year... or his forever.

I do rely on electronic technology as an aid to caring. Dad has a chair sensor - which alerts me if I am in another room if he tries to stand up from his chair. A bed sensor placed under his pillow so that if he attempts to get up at night I am alerted. We also have a motion sensor that alerts to any movement at night. (A ‘double whammy' in case one fails) Dad has very limited mobility and a catheter attached to a night bag, so it would be dangerous for him to attempt to get up from his bed at night.

Dad tends to wake a couple of times during most nights and attempts to get out of bed so I have found the sensors we have to be a godsend. However sometimes they can be a little over sensitive and some nights I go to him to find him sleeping peacefully...although I would rather that than them not to alert me.

Electronic gadgets, carelines etc, are wonderful and can and do provide an aid to independent living and caring, but they still always need the human element from family or friends. Someone to be at the end of a phone or in-house 24/7 with a pager alarm to provide the necessary help and care day and night, possibly in an emergency situation.

Could the future hold the possibility that families and friends are put under undue pressure and guilt to keep loved-ones in their own home with technology or care at home for them because the care system cannot cope?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Could the future hold the possibility that families and friends are put under undue pressure and guilt to keep loved-ones in their own home with technology or care at home for them because the care system cannot cope?

That's what's worrying me,daisydays.

Technology is great, but it can only ever be an aide, especially for someone with dementia, who may well not be able to explain what is wrong. They need someone there to check.

And we all know the intolerable strain of trying to keep a loved one at home as they approach end-stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike rail