Incontinence

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
Visited Anna in hospital yesterday,seems she had been trying to wander,she fell from her bed and now has a badly cut nose and two black eyes,Upon my protest ,the charge nurse said she had ten other patients to look after.
today she is barricaded into her bed,and appears drowsy all the time,must be drugged to keep her quietWish she was home,or in a better place where she could be looked after one on one.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Upon my protest ,the charge nurse said she had ten other patients to look after.

I hate when they say that , its no excuse for they neglect

Wish she was home,or in a better place where she could be looked after one on one

frederick have you talk to anyone in how long she be they before she moved have they done any assessments on her needs where she going to go , your home or care home

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear, Frederick, How sad.

And I notice it will be a very special birthday for you tomorrow. I`m so sorry it won`t be a happy one. But I`m sending love and best wishes just the same.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Frederick, I'm so sorry. It's such a shock to see our loved ones in that state.

John is falling a lot too. The trouble is, he gets up to walk, without realising how weak his legs have become, and they give way under him. I imagine it's the same with your Anna. To be honest, I don't think the staff can watch them 24/7, and short of restraint, which I certainly wouldn't want, there's not much they can do.

I'm sending you best wishes for your birthday tomorrow.

Love,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Frederick,

I can't add anything to anyone else's advice, I am not in your situation. Just to say, my dad was Fred (plain Fred "no rick" as he used to say), and perhaps it is in the name, but he would always have done his best for my mum. Sadly he passed away three years ago, so it in now my job to look after my mum with AD as he would have done.

I don't think I am doing it particularly well, you are doing yuor job brilliantly. My Fred would have been proud of you. I am humbled by the situations that some people find themselves in and wish that they have the strength to fight.

You know, we shouldn't be in this position. We are just people, trying to do our best.

Frederick, hang on in there. I hope you get the best for Anna.

Love

Margaret

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Frederick, I hope your 'big' birthday will be the best it can be under the circumstances. You share a birthday with my Dad who is two years older than you. We are taking him out to lunch tomorrow & although I do not know what the future holds we are lucky enough at present in the fact that he is no where near as ill as your precious Ana & can be taken out to lunch & hopefully will enjoy it. My heart goes out to you.

Last edited:

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
I am worried sick about Anna,cant sleep,12:30 AM
Went to hosptal yesterday (Monday) Anna dast asleep,they have changed her medication it seems,she spends all her time asleeo or very drowsy,eats very little if she can be awakened at mealtimes,food is dumped on a tray in front of her and left,I have tried feeding her myself when I have been there,but after a couple of spoonfuls,she loses interest.
She seemed to have some irritation down below that she kept trying to reach.
I found that the inside of her thighs was red raw,nappy rash it seems,they have removed the catheter and replaced it with a pad,which,when I saw it was sodden,why they removed the catheter I dont know,the only answer I got was it was a consultant's decision,I can never get to see him.
I thought Hospitals were supposed to care for the patients,Anna went in with high blood sugar levels,since being in hosptal she has suffered a fall out of her bed resulting in a nasty cut nose,two black eyes and other bruises to her face and arms,and now painful
rashes to her inner thighs which I had to point out to a nurse so she could have some ointment
I do so dearly wish I could take her home,even
with my disability she would be better cared for.It breaks my heart to see her lying there
in such discomfort.She still has a high blood sugar count so we are no further forward ar all,quite the reverse! "I do have ten other patients to care for" Quote fromm the staff nurse.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is all so heartbreaking for you Frederick and such a bad reflection on the care of the elderly in hospitals.

It sounds as if Anna is really very poorly, but I`m sure she could be made more comfortable.

If you have the strength to confront the staff , please do it. However many patients have to be cared for, comfort should be a priority.

Could you ask for an appointment to see Anna`s consultant so you can find out what treatment she is having and how much can be done to help her.

Take care xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Frederick, I'm so sorry Anna is not being properly cared for in hospital. It's heartbreaking when you've cared for someone for so long, to see them being neglected.

Regarding the catheter, it's policy in our area not to use them unless it's essential, because they can so easily lead to infection. I imagine this is why it was removed. However, there's no excuse for not changing pads, or for allowing Anna to become sore. Perhaps you could contact PALS, there should be an office in the hospital, and tell them of your concerns? Alternatively, you could ask to speak to the charge nurse, and tell her what is happening (she should know, but perhaps she doesn't!)

I hope you've found Anna a bit better today.

Love,