Incontinence

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for that Hazel. It makes it a bit easier to understand. It sounds as if it could be achieved if the medics tried very hard. :rolleyes:

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm so sorry that all this is happening to you and your wife and all I can do is offer you my understanding and concern for you. It is an abolute disgrace how the professionals have left things until it has become an emergency. Not good for you or your wife or your poor daughter who must also be at her wits end. Do any of our moderators collect this kind of information and pass it on to the AZ Society? I think this is a classic case which highlights all the problems we as carers are faced with.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I was doing some research on alternative methods of collecting a sample. This report http://www.jwocnonline.com/pt/re/jw...4vvXhxTJDGfdQddD!1600246195!181195629!8091!-1

indicates that you can get an accurate result from pressing a dipstick into an incontinence pad. However, it's important to note that the urine was itself taken from a clean catch sample: in other words this just checked to see whether waiting 2 hours after pouring it on the pad made a difference - the pad wasn't on the person, or possibly contaminated by skin contact.

However this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=8227891&dopt=AbstractPlus

is I think more "real world" accurate and shows that urine removed from a pad is highly predictive in terms of a UTI.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well thanks for that Jennifer. It really is what I would have thought. I`m beginning to think we are being fobbed off with excuses because certain procedures might be too much trouble.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I also think it comes down to not being able to think outside the box. And if there's one thing dementia teaches you, it's that you HAVE to think outside the box.

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Frederick

Your situation has really moved me - I don't really have anything to add to whats been said - but I'm thinking of you and Anna

Take care

Libs

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
Anna is now in hospital,Doctor has examined her,she has had an x-ray,doctor i of the opinion that the high blodd sugar level is a cause of her sickness,will keep her in hospital until he is able to lower her blood sugar level.
Thanks for your help

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
i of the opinion that the high blodd sugar level is a cause of her sickness,

It can also be from dehydration , I only say this because it happen to my mother , she was very weak floppy looking , so I thought it was a urine
infection
or her diabetic sugar level out of control and my mother would not let me take a sample of her urine, then took mum to the doctor and blood pursuer was ok , so doctor said he send district nurse, while waiting for district nurse , i took mum out she had a bad fall on her head , she keep being sick they done all test urine was fine then they done CT scan as they thought she may have blood clot in brain , but that can back all clear .

Then they finally found out way she was being sick looking so weak , they told me because she was dehydrated . I never new that could happen from not drinking enough water .

Last edited:

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Frederick

I am happy that the hospital have solved Anna's problem and hope she gets well soon

But before you agree to have her back home with you, insist on an adequate care package or 24/7 care in a residential care home if you think you can no longer give Anna the care she needs.

There is no shame in admitting we can't do it anymore. I am a bit younger than you and I admitted it wasn't in my parents best interests that I continued to struggle to care for them.

Again, in trying to keep my parents together, I wasn't doing my Dad (who also has AD,) any favours, he was exhausted

Mum is now in the assessment ward of the hospital and Dad having had a rest is better, but unfortunately Mum isn't, but then she wouldn't have got any better in the Care home either.

Look after yourself and best of luck
Alfjess

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Frederick

I very much hope they can sort this out. As Alfjess has pointed out, do NOT let them send her either home without a package of support that you can live with or to a nursing or care home if that is your choice. Although you obviously didn't want Anna to end up in hospital, you are now in a position of strength when it comes to getting what you want. If you decide that residental care is most appropriate, social services won't be able to claim shortage of funds - the NHS will bill them for every day that they delay a residential placement once she is fit for discharge. Ditto if they fail to get a care package in place - don't forget: you CANNOT be forced to provide care - this is your decision and you do NOT have to do it if you don't feel you can.

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
Incontinece

I spent time with Ana in hospital yesterday,and I noticed that she was fitted with a colostomy bag,so they must have all the urine samples they want,going to the hospital now after the doctor has made his rounds.
Once again thank you everybody.

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Frederick,

On;y just caught up with this thread and I feel for you and your wife so much. You've done so well caring for her by yourself this long.

I'm really disgusted at the attitiude of the social worker - guess they've never suffered illness with a loved one?

In term of collecting urine samples with babies they have bags that you stick to the skin and then it can sit in their knickers or nappy and when they urinate you have a good, clean sample. As you can imagine done this a lot with my little one with her kidney problems!

I don't know how effective this would be with AZ dementia sufferers?

I'll be thinking of you and Anna, take good care of yourself.

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
From my hospital visit this morning,a junior doctor told me Anna had HONK.
it appears that type2 diabetes has a lot to do with it,the body not producing thechemicals it needs,leading to constant,need for urination,thirst, drowsiness,and gradual loss of consciousness.Anna also has a current infection.
Plans are to place her is an HDU (high dependency unit)
The doctor also said that if Anna declined further,they would not be resuscitating her as her quality of life would be greatly diminshed.You can imagine how I felt
Went back to the hospital with sarah this afternoon,they took Anna for a brain scan,when she returned,she was able to rrecognise us and utter a few short sentences,so I was greatly relieved,though she kept falling asleep.Doctor said that as a result of HONK,she lost 6 1/2 litres of water.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well I had no idea what HONK was, so for the benefit if anyone else reading this, here's what I found out

Occasionally people with type 2 diabetes develop a condition called hyperosmotic non-ketotic acidosis (HONK). It is caused by blood sugar levels rising to very high levels. It causes extreme thirst, nausea, dry skin, increased urine production and disorientation. Eventually it can cause drowsiness and loss of consciousness. HONK needs to be treated in hospital.

Frederick - I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad for you. It's good that they have diagnosed the problem and are attempting to treat it, but bad that the prognosis is not more of a sure fire cure. I am pleased that she has perked up a bit, and please keep us posted.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Frederick,

My husband also has Type 2 diabetes so, thank you for your post.....it`s something to be aware of.

Anna sounds very poorly and I hope she isn`t suffering too much.

Please take care of yourself. You have had, and are still having, a very stressful time.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Frederick, I'm sorry to hear that Anna is so poorly. Hopefully, now that they have identified the problem, they will be able to make her more comfortable.

Take care of yourself, and let us know how Anna gets on. I'll be thinking of you.

Love,

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
Anna is talking,not quite intelligently,but she is talking,even joking,Doctor aksed if she had chest pains,yes said Anna "you want some"?
What a relief,Anna is on her way back!
Once again,thanks to TP and all the best wishes.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Frederick, that's wonderful news!

You must be over the moon to hav your Anna talking and laughing again.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you for the update Frederick. Good news indeed.

I hope it goes from good to better, but be sure to try to have something organized before Anna is discharged, so you do not find yourself in such a desperate situation again.

Take care

Love xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
The doctor also said that if Anna declined further,they would not be resuscitating her as her quality of life would be greatly diminshed.You can imagine how I felt

yes I can... so was so pleased to read

Doctor aksed if she had chest pains,yes said Anna "you want some"?

Good for her :D

My mother has type2 diabetes, was vomiting yesterday that she was sent home from day-center,she not doing it today , but is very weak looking wont eat as she scared of being sick so only would eat soup did not send her to day centre today ,her full blood test results that nurse done few week back don't sound good . have an appointment with doctor on friday to find out what they say about the results

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp