1. julie76

    julie76 Registered User

    Sep 15, 2015
    Hi All im new to this sight so please be gentle ..... my grandad has dementia and he is refusing personal care what can i do ??
    my granddad is incontinent of urine and wont get up when he is soaking wet what can I do :(
  2. Canadian Joanne

    Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

    Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Is it possible to switch out his regular underpants for incontinence pull-ups? I think there may be an incontinence nurse you can discuss the issues with, ask at your granddad's GP surgery.
  3. Tin

    Tin Registered User

    May 18, 2014
    Sounds like now is the time to get incontinence team/nurse involved.
  4. balloo

    balloo Registered User

    Sep 21, 2013

    my MIL wears them now as we have found a she does nit always wipe her self properly and b her bottom leaks on occassions we buy incontenience pants on amazan for £50 delivererd for 4 pcks 48 pairs never bother ed with nurse as they get you to note how much they drink and how much is peaed ,did not fancy that idea so told dr annd we buy them. they are great
  5. Mal2

    Mal2 Registered User

    Oct 14, 2014
    When my husband became incontinent, I contacted my Doctors. They contacted the District nurse. one came to ask how often I changed him during day (3 times) and night (2 ). Straight away she ordered Slips for nightwear and 3 pads for during the day. These are delivered every 3 months, they do not charge me, it is paid for by the NHS.
    They also supply elastic pants for the pads, though, I do not use them, I place a pad in a slip during the day, as the slip does not get wet being outside the pad, the slip can be used for the night. I find this fine for my husband, but, I think you can also request the pull ups, which, I sometimes use for him and I think are more suitable for women.
  6. Mal2

    Mal2 Registered User

    Oct 14, 2014
    Speak to his Doctor. They can arrange for District nurse to call. They will ask how many times he would need changing during the day and night. They allow 1 for during night and 3 during day, ( that's my allowance, but, others may be different). They will give you advice on the subject. Delivery is every 90 days, and, free on the NHS.

    There is a choice of Pull-ups, slips (which look like baby nappies) and pads which fit inside elastic knickers. I find these tend to fall down, so I place a pad inside a slip during the day, and as it doesn't get wet, with the pad being inside it, I use that for during the night

    I find the Doctor is very helpful, I asked about a reclining chair on a Friday for my husband, and, it was delivered the following Monday. They arranged with Council for hand rails on stairs and in bathroom, and, outside front door, also supplied a wheelchair. At first he had a walker supplied, when first finding it difficult to walk, then 6 months ago, when he wasn't able to stand, for me to change pads, and wash/dress him properly, they arranged for me to have a hoist. A God send.

    I have protective bed sheets with flaps. the centre square is quilted on the top, with waterproof material under it, to save the bed getting wet. I buy these myself, but, well worth it.

    I hope everything works well for you, and welcome to TP:)
  7. GarryJD

    GarryJD Registered User

    Sep 17, 2015
    #7 GarryJD, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Protective Bed Sheets

    I am dealing with this problem with my parents as my Stepfather is trying to wear pads but still wetting the bed to the point it is rotten. My Mom still sleeps by his side and is suffering. Where can I get the bed sheets with flaps? They have huge King Size Bed but I think separate single beds would be best for them but Dad's having none of that...!
  8. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
  9. tigerqueen

    tigerqueen Registered User

    Mar 11, 2014
    I've not had to use these myself yet, but someone mentioned to me something called a kylie sheet, might be worth looking into as well for the bed.
  10. Izzy

    Izzy Volunteer Moderator

    Aug 31, 2003
    That's what Beate has given the link for.

    Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app
  11. sleepless

    sleepless Registered User

    Feb 19, 2010
    The Sweet North
    I think the term 'Kylie sheet' misleads people (myself included when I first read of them)
    'Sheet' implies a thin covering for the whole mattress, whereas these items are waterproof quilted bed pads that cover just the most vulnerable area of the bed.
    Disposable bed pads are available, but they are not as strong obviously. They are cheaper to buy in bulk than by the pack. Disposables tend not to stay in place as well as washable ones, which would be a problem with a restless sleeper.
    Hope this helps a little.
  12. GarryJD

    GarryJD Registered User

    Sep 17, 2015
    incontinence thanks!

    The comments on this post have helped a lot. Dad's pads end up everywhere but where they are supposed to be. Mom gave him some of her 'large' underwear in a hopeful attempt at keeping the pads in place. Now I've seen that there are mattress pads and other types I really hope Mom isn't trying to shoe-horn a mattress pad into dads panties...

    Dad tries to dry these on the radiator so I am really hopeful that these are the re-usable ones....... Then I can go from there......!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.