incontinence

julie76

Sep 15, 2015
Hi All im new to this sight so please be gentle ..... my grandad has dementia and he is refusing personal care what can i do ??
my granddad is incontinent of urine and wont get up when he is soaking wet what can I do :(

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Is it possible to switch out his regular underpants for incontinence pull-ups? I think there may be an incontinence nurse you can discuss the issues with, ask at your granddad's GP surgery.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds like now is the time to get incontinence team/nurse involved.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Sounds like now is the time to get incontinence team/nurse involved.

my MIL wears them now as we have found a she does nit always wipe her self properly and b her bottom leaks on occassions we buy incontenience pants on amazan for £50 delivererd for 4 pcks 48 pairs never bother ed with nurse as they get you to note how much they drink and how much is peaed ,did not fancy that idea so told dr annd we buy them. they are great

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield

my MIL wears them now as we have found a she does nit always wipe her self properly and b her bottom leaks on occassions we buy incontenience pants on amazan for £50 delivererd for 4 pcks 48 pairs never bother ed with nurse as they get you to note how much they drink and how much is peaed ,did not fancy that idea so told dr annd we buy them. they are great

When my husband became incontinent, I contacted my Doctors. They contacted the District nurse. one came to ask how often I changed him during day (3 times) and night (2 ). Straight away she ordered Slips for nightwear and 3 pads for during the day. These are delivered every 3 months, they do not charge me, it is paid for by the NHS.
They also supply elastic pants for the pads, though, I do not use them, I place a pad in a slip during the day, as the slip does not get wet being outside the pad, the slip can be used for the night. I find this fine for my husband, but, I think you can also request the pull ups, which, I sometimes use for him and I think are more suitable for women.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi All im new to this sight so please be gentle ..... my grandad has dementia and he is refusing personal care what can i do ??
my granddad is incontinent of urine and wont get up when he is soaking wet what can I do :(

Speak to his Doctor. They can arrange for District nurse to call. They will ask how many times he would need changing during the day and night. They allow 1 for during night and 3 during day, ( that's my allowance, but, others may be different). They will give you advice on the subject. Delivery is every 90 days, and, free on the NHS.

There is a choice of Pull-ups, slips (which look like baby nappies) and pads which fit inside elastic knickers. I find these tend to fall down, so I place a pad inside a slip during the day, and as it doesn't get wet, with the pad being inside it, I use that for during the night

I find the Doctor is very helpful, I asked about a reclining chair on a Friday for my husband, and, it was delivered the following Monday. They arranged with Council for hand rails on stairs and in bathroom, and, outside front door, also supplied a wheelchair. At first he had a walker supplied, when first finding it difficult to walk, then 6 months ago, when he wasn't able to stand, for me to change pads, and wash/dress him properly, they arranged for me to have a hoist. A God send.

I have protective bed sheets with flaps. the centre square is quilted on the top, with waterproof material under it, to save the bed getting wet. I buy these myself, but, well worth it.

I hope everything works well for you, and welcome to TP:)

GarryJD

Sep 17, 2015
Solihull
Protective Bed Sheets

Speak to his Doctor. They can arrange for District nurse to call. They will ask how many times he would need changing during the day and night. They allow 1 for during night and 3 during day, ( that's my allowance, but, others may be different). They will give you advice on the subject. Delivery is every 90 days, and, free on the NHS.

There is a choice of Pull-ups, slips (which look like baby nappies) and pads which fit inside elastic knickers. I find these tend to fall down, so I place a pad inside a slip during the day, and as it doesn't get wet, with the pad being inside it, I use that for during the night

I find the Doctor is very helpful, I asked about a reclining chair on a Friday for my husband, and, it was delivered the following Monday. They arranged with Council for hand rails on stairs and in bathroom, and, outside front door, also supplied a wheelchair. At first he had a walker supplied, when first finding it difficult to walk, then 6 months ago, when he wasn't able to stand, for me to change pads, and wash/dress him properly, they arranged for me to have a hoist. A God send.

I have protective bed sheets with flaps. the centre square is quilted on the top, with waterproof material under it, to save the bed getting wet. I buy these myself, but, well worth it.

I hope everything works well for you, and welcome to TP:)

I am dealing with this problem with my parents as my Stepfather is trying to wear pads but still wetting the bed to the point it is rotten. My Mom still sleeps by his side and is suffering. Where can I get the bed sheets with flaps? They have huge King Size Bed but I think separate single beds would be best for them but Dad's having none of that...!

Last edited:

tigerqueen

Mar 11, 2014
Essex
I've not had to use these myself yet, but someone mentioned to me something called a kylie sheet, might be worth looking into as well for the bed.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've not had to use these myself yet, but someone mentioned to me something called a kylie sheet, might be worth looking into as well for the bed.

That's what Beate has given the link for.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I think the term 'Kylie sheet' misleads people (myself included when I first read of them)
'Sheet' implies a thin covering for the whole mattress, whereas these items are waterproof quilted bed pads that cover just the most vulnerable area of the bed.
Disposable bed pads are available, but they are not as strong obviously. They are cheaper to buy in bulk than by the pack. Disposables tend not to stay in place as well as washable ones, which would be a problem with a restless sleeper.
Hope this helps a little.

GarryJD

Sep 17, 2015
Solihull
incontinence thanks!

I think the term 'Kylie sheet' misleads people (myself included when I first read of them)
'Sheet' implies a thin covering for the whole mattress, whereas these items are waterproof quilted bed pads that cover just the most vulnerable area of the bed.
Disposable bed pads are available, but they are not as strong obviously. They are cheaper to buy in bulk than by the pack. Disposables tend not to stay in place as well as washable ones, which would be a problem with a restless sleeper.
Hope this helps a little.

The comments on this post have helped a lot. Dad's pads end up everywhere but where they are supposed to be. Mom gave him some of her 'large' underwear in a hopeful attempt at keeping the pads in place. Now I've seen that there are mattress pads and other types I really hope Mom isn't trying to shoe-horn a mattress pad into dads panties...

Dad tries to dry these on the radiator so I am really hopeful that these are the re-usable ones....... Then I can go from there......!