Im really struggling.

Bungleina

Jul 26, 2022
I've arranged for carers to come and help with getting my husband up and dressed for daycare. First day successful. After that it has been left to me when they have failed. I've been informed that he's good when there but how do I manage getting him washed, dressed, fed and ready to go. He just gets nasty. Won't undress for me at all. Says I'm nasty and am hurting him. Today is a first ignoring me when i try and help, not eating or drinking anything but sweet stuff but finding the quality street and stuffing his face. I just want to sleep and get away from this nightmare.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @Bungleina

Your husband sounds like a child who is happy to oblige the first time and once they realise what it`s all about decides it`s not for them.

This could be attention seeking and sulking when he ignores you. Perhaps you can turn the tables and ignore him.

Do you have problems when he doesn't need to get ready for day care?

Bungleina

Jul 26, 2022
Welcome to the forum @Bungleina

Your husband sounds like a child who is happy to oblige the first time and once they realise what it`s all about decides it`s not for them.

This could be attention seeking and sulking when he ignores you. Perhaps you can turn the tables and ignore him.

Do you have problems when he doesn't need to get ready for day care?
Yes. Today has been particularly bad. Refusing everything, help with toileting dressing Washing eating drinking. I'm afraid to say I took myself to bed. I couldn't cope, but the guilt kicks in and I keep trying, but get another kick I the teeth. Don't know how much longer I can cope but feel guilty that I'm not.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
I've arranged for carers to come and help with getting my husband up and dressed for daycare. First day successful. After that it has been left to me when they have failed. I've been informed that he's good when there but how do I manage getting him washed, dressed, fed and ready to go. He just gets nasty. Won't undress for me at all. Says I'm nasty and am hurting him. Today is a first ignoring me when i try and help, not eating or drinking anything but sweet stuff but finding the quality street and stuffing his face. I just want to sleep and get away from this nightmare.
Have you thought about doing the getting ready the night before as if to get ready for bed, and putting him in a polo shirt and jogging type trousers? Take a pullover or jacket, if it is cold. This may help. Especially if daycare is not every day.

It worked with reluctant toddlers at a school where I once worked. Dementia victims are unlesrning adult behaviour.

If he's dressed for a day out, he goes. Let the wash go. If he doesn't eat breakfast, he won't starve but will have an appetite for lunch