I'm New in this Forum

imcarla28

Jul 4, 2024
Hello Everyone.
I'm a caregiver here in Saudi Arabia and this is not my first time to handle with demetia case but my current client is totally different. Her Aggresive and Behaviour changes is the reason why I joined here.. to learn more about this case and to give her the help that she needs. I want to help and understand her more. Readinv in this forum might help me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @imcarla28 I hope you find it helpful.

As you have found, there can be a lot of differences in the behaviours of people with dementia.

Aggressive behaviour is often a sign of fear in people who are unable to express themselves vocally.

If you can create as calming an atmosphere as possible and use reassuring language, it might help.

This is from the Alzheimer`s Society

Changes in behaviour​

As their condition progresses, a person with dementia may start to behave in ways that are challenging and distressing, both for themselves and those around them. For example, a person with dementia may:

• become restless or agitated
  • shout out or scream
  • become suspicious of others
  • follow someone around
  • ask the same question repeatedly.
These out-of-character behaviours can occur because the person has a need that isn't being met and they cannot communicate it. For example:

• they might be thirsty, hungry or in pain
  • they may have misunderstood something and feel threatened
  • they may be frustrated or bored.
I don't know if it will help you but hope it does.

It may be possible to get some anti anxiety medication from the doctor but that is dependent on the physical stability of the person you are caring for because anti anxiety medication is a falls risk.